Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I also cannot post to the scanning and printing forum.

FWIW - this is the problem, possibly someone can move it to the right forum.

HP 8620 - cannot scan to network folder

I have had this printer for several years, and it has worked flawlessly up to now - printing, scanning (to network folder) etc.

It is still working fine - but all of a sudden it will not scan to network folder. Nothing has changed in the system setup or the folders - except I think the printer automatically updated its firmware. Not sure if this is connected.

It is on a Windows network, the client PC is Win10/64 2004, and has Kaspersky Internet Security. It is not on a domain. It is all wireless (fixed IP address). The printer works fine for everything except scanning (scan to email works OK).

Now, on trying to scan it says 'cannot scan to \\...\... . Make sure remote computer is turned on' (it is). In the printer setup, as a test it points to a folder which now has full access for everyone, security and sharing. The user name / password is valid on the computer.

When I click 'test' on the printer setup in the web server, it thinks for a few seconds then says "Unable to connect to the printer. Check your configurations and try again." - which is pretty silly really since I am talking to it in configuring the setup.

I have tried

disabling / removing KIS

creating new folders with different permissions

different user accounts

Just to be clear

printing and general connectivity works fine

the computer is on

the scan folder appears setup correctly

the disk is not full

filename prefix looks OK

firmware version is FDP1CN2022AR

it all used to work - it just doesn't now.

Nothing has any effect. I have also tried everything in https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/OfficeJet-Pro-8620-8625-not-scanning-to-networ..., and none of it made any difference.

Any assistance gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLVED!

You were right - it was Windows. Something I had missed in the other post.

SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support windows feature needs to be enabled. Presumably it originally was, but got turned off in some recent Windows update (it'll probably get turned off again unexpectedly, but at least I know now).

Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@nmw01223 

Updates / Edits

Remove / update example plate

I'm not sure what we can offer beyond the advice found in the 2016 thread you mention.

Over the years, the general "how-to" really hasn't changed that much.

The 8620 certainly hasn't changed.

The variables are the Windows File System, your account(s), and your network.

If you have not done so, Restart Everything, including the router.

Why?

This is one of those "have to try" solutions for network "stuff" that starts failing for no apparent reason...

It is possible that EVEN IF you have always used a hosts name and it has worked, that you now need to replace the hosts name with the IP address of the device where the shared folder is located.

For those reading

An example of "Scan to Network" setup - Windows 10.x

EWS_9025_Scan-to-Network-Folder_7EWS_9025_Scan-to-Network-Folder_7

So, what else?

It is possible the Windows File System is tangled up as a result of Windows Updates.  Windows is pretty intelligent about updates - that said, weird things can happen and the results are not always immediately obvious.

It is possible "something" in your account where the shared folder is located is tangled, incorrectly configured, correct but broken... Test this by adding another account, admin privileged, and adding a Test Scan folder (shared, etc)....

It is possible that the "Shared" folder you already have in place needs to be rechecked for the permission status - and / or that Properties on that shared folder need to be opened, adjusted, and then "saved" (Apply / OK) to force an "update" to the flags that control permissions.

Example

Scan_to_Network_Folder_Permissions_1Scan_to_Network_Folder_Permissions_1

Is that enough?

Maybe.

There is not that much to the setup.

You could try Restarting the printer.

Printer Turns Off Unexpectedly or Repeatedly

Step 2

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, however, no good:

I've tried different accounts and different PCs, makes no difference. However the different PCs can all read / write files between the shared folders without any difference.

I also tried using the actual IP address in the share, eg \\a.b.c.d\Scans. That made no difference either.

You say the 8620 hasn't changed but Windows network / file system has. True - maybe - but as I said, the printer did a firmware update, and whilst I cannot tied it down definitely, scan to network folder has not worked since then.

HP Recommended

@nmw01223 

You are welcome.

Too bad it has not born the fruit of success.

"True, but..."

Firmware is supposed to do no harm, of course - I don't have any way to know whether this is the cause of your difficulties.

Could be true?  Certainly.  Likely?  Unknown.

Don't read much into any editorial comments that I make - they don't mean anything.  I know better, in fact, but sometimes forget to leave out everything that is simply an opinion.  

For the moment, I am out of ideas.  I donated my OfficeJet Pro 8630 a couple of years ago and I simply don't have any way to test the current operation of the hardware for you.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

SOLVED!

You were right - it was Windows. Something I had missed in the other post.

SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support windows feature needs to be enabled. Presumably it originally was, but got turned off in some recent Windows update (it'll probably get turned off again unexpectedly, but at least I know now).

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@nmw01223 

Ah, good catch.  👍

I've not had to use SMB 1 for awhile - settings for newer objects use SMB 2/3.

I've updated the example plate to include the check for SMB 1/CIFS.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.