Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I can print from the Smart App but cannot scan.   It shows that my printer status is:

HP DeskJet 4100 series (886192) and Ready To Print.    When I selectet Printer Scan, I get the error that says "This feature is not supported by the selected printer".    That is not supposed to be true.   You are supposed to be able to scan from the flat screen and just hit that button.    Anyone else have that issue and how did you fix it?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@CherryMary

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

You can use the HP Smart app to scan.

1. Go to 123.hp.com from a browser on your phone or tablet and install the HP Smart app.

2. Make sure your mobile device is connected to your wireless network, with Bluetooth enabled, and then open the HP Smart app.

Scan using your printer

1. Place the item you want to scan on the scanner glass or in the automatic document feeder (ADF) tray.

2. Tap the Printer Scan tile.

Printer Scan tile

3. Tap the Settings icon  to select the input source, color or black and white, and resolution.

4. Tap Scan.

5. For multi-page scans, tap the Add Pages icon , and then repeat these steps with another item.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I believe they wrote it wasn't working from the Smart App... I'm getting the same Error code & it used to work **bleep**?

HP Recommended

Hi,

My 4120 printer does the same issue, and your answer does not address the question - you're suggesting them (and me) to do exactly what he says that we did, and failed. 

When *in the HP Smart app*, pressing "Printers Scan" button, a popup message appears, saying "Feature Unavailable - This feature is not supported by the selected printer. Connect to a different printer to use this feature."

Needless to say, that this printer (4120) does support scanning, and I did scan with this app from that printer multiple times in the past.

Please assist

HP Recommended

Hi @Hagai_IL,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

1.  May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.
  2. What device are you using the printer with, a Windows computer, Mac, Android or an iPhone? 

Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

Hi Jay, and thank you for the prompt response!

My printer info is:

Product Name: HP DeskJet Plus 4100

Product Number: 3XV148

Serial Number: CN19ABV1PP

FW version TOP1FN2208JR (date: 2022-02-18)

Used app - HP smart, version 9.2.0.70

Phone - Xiaomi POCO M4 Pro

HP Recommended

same issue. I think its a problem with the app! I have  a 6032e. was working fine a few weeks ago.

Scanning from PC seems to work. so I guess its a issue with the HP app. 

Also the initial solution posted by HP to the post was utter gibbersh. I don't think the tecnitian even read read the question and cut an past a standard response. Waste of time! 

HP Recommended

@Hagai_IL,

Follow the instructions to sign in to your HP Smart and then access the HP Scan feature.

On your Android device or Chromebook, make sure the browser or HP Smart app is up to date, and then manually open the browser within the HP Smart app.

Restart your mobile device or Chromebook, and make sure it is connected to the internet.

Check the app store for an update.

For mobile devices with the Huawei browser, continue with these steps.

For mobile devices with the Chrome browser, go to Chrome (in English) in the Google Play Store, and then click Update, if available.

For Chromebooks, go to HP Smart (in English) in the Google Play Store, and then update the app to version 8.9.0.58 or later.

Open the HP Smart app, and then tap App Settings > Sign In.

Tap the Menu icon in the top right, and then tap Open in Chrome or Open in browser.

Sign in to or create an account.

If you can sign in, you are done troubleshooting.

If you cannot sign in to or create an account, continue with these steps.

If you get a Something went wrong or Account already exists message after creating an account, close then reopen the app. Select Sign in, and then enter your credentials. If the issue persists, continue with these steps.

Install the Firefox app from your app store.

Change the default browser to Firefox.

In Android, open the Settings app.

Search for and open the Default apps or Default browser menu, and then select Firefox in the list.

Open the HP Smart app, and then sign in to or create an account.

After the printer setup is complete and you can sign in, change the default browser back to your preferred settings.

Scan with the HP Smart app (Android, Apple iOS)

Scan documents and photos from the printer, or capture items with the phone or tablet camera.

Select one of the following scan tiles from the HP Smart app home screen.

Printer Scan: Place the original on the printer scanner glass or into the automatic document feeder (ADF). In Android, tap the Settings icon to select the input source, resolution, and color, and then tap Close. In iOS, tap the dropdown to select the paper size, quality, and color, and then tap Done.

Camera Scan: Uses the camera on a phone or tablet to capture a photo or document that you can edit, print, or share.

Tap the Preferences icon toggle the enhancement features on or off, and then tap Done.

Select a preset option, and then tap Scan or the white circle to start the scan.

If an Adjust Boundaries or Detect Edges screen displays, tap Auto or manually adjust the boundaries by tapping and moving the blue dots, and then tap Next.

Preview of adjusting boundaries for a scan

Select from the following options and settings in the Preview window.

Add another page by tapping + Add.

Tap and drag the images to reorder multi-page scans.

Tap the Menu icon to edit, replace, or delete the scanned items.

Tap the Rotate icon to rotate the item.

Select the file type, either Basic PDF to save as a single file or Image to save the scans separately.

In the Edit window, adjust or enhance the file by cropping, changing the color, rotating, or adding filters and text, and then tap Done.

Scan Edit screen

Select an option to save, print, share, or fax the scan file.

Print: Send a scan to the printer.

Save: The default save location for scanned documents is the Documents folder and the Pictures library for scanned photos. Save a scan in the default location or browse to a different folder.

Share: Send a scan in an email, share via social media accounts such as Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, or save the scan in a cloud storage account, such as Box or OneDrive. You can also look for other apps in the Windows Store.

Shortcuts: Create or use an existing shortcut for printing, emailing, or saving scanned files to cloud accounts.

Fax: Send a scan via fax.

After saving the scan, tap the back button to return to the Home screen.

You may refer to -https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2275901-2074064-16

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Steps below helped for me:

Search for and open the Default apps or Default browser menu, and then select Firefox in the list.

Open the HP Smart app, and then sign in to or create an account.

After the printer setup is complete and you can sign in, change the default browser back to your preferred settings.

Firefox also shows you that one of servers behind the url login3.id,hp.com has an invalid certificate.  That invalid certificate makes it impossible to login and is the possible cause of the problem. Sometimes the loadbalancer sends you to a different server and then you are able to login.

HP Recommended

Hi community! 

Another option in addition to HP Smart would be to install the full drivers so that it is possible to scan from the computer, follow the installation instructions at the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoYQTSjv7-E

To scan directly from the computer it is also possible by opening the Control Panel> Devices and Printers> you will see all the devices connected to your computer, including the printer, right click on your printer and an option to scan will appear.

Regards,

SofiaML

I work on behalf of HP.
Hi there ! This video is regarding step by step setup Printer using HP Easy Start Printer setup software. For any help Call +1-888-557-3899. In this video you will learn about how to setup Printer using HP Easy Start Printer setup software. After watching this video you will learn :- HP Easy Start
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.