Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

how can i prove i sent a scan to my customer on my  hp office jet pro 6978

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Douglas03 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you want to keep a record of what you scan and to prove that you sent a scan to a customer using your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer, you can follow these steps:

1. Saving a Record of Your Scans

When you scan a document, you can save it as a file on your computer or a connected device. Here's how:

Using HP Smart App

1. Install HP Smart App: If you haven't already, download and install the HP Smart app from the HP website or your device's app store.
  2. Open HP Smart App: Launch the app and add your printer if it’s not already connected.
  3. Scan a Document:
    • Select Scan.
    • Choose Scanner as the input source.
    • Adjust the scan settings as needed.
    • Click Scan.
  4. Save the Scan: Once the scan is complete, you can save the document to your computer or cloud storage. The app will usually give you options to save it as a PDF, JPEG, or other formats.
  5. Keep Records: Save the scanned file in a dedicated folder on your computer or in a cloud storage service for easy access later.

Using Printer Software

1. Open HP Printer Assistant: This software is typically installed with your printer drivers. You can find it by searching "HP Printer Assistant" in your computer’s start menu.
  2. Scan a Document:
    • Go to Scan.
    • Select Scan a Document or Photo.
    • Adjust the scan settings.
    • Click Scan.
  3. Save the Scan: Save the scanned document to a specified folder on your computer.

2. Proving You Sent a Scan to Your Customer

Emailing the Scan

Send via Email:

• After scanning the document, you can attach it to an email directly from the HP Smart app or using your email client.
  • Use an email service that provides a "sent" folder or a delivery receipt option.
  • Make sure to include the customer's email address and any relevant details in the email body.

Request Delivery and Read Receipts:

• When composing the email, you can request a delivery receipt and a read receipt. This can typically be done by checking the relevant options in your email client (e.g., Outlook, Gmail).
  • A delivery receipt confirms that the email was successfully delivered to the recipient's mail server.
  • A read receipt requests the recipient to acknowledge when they have opened the email.

Keeping a Log

Maintain an Email Log:

• Save copies of sent emails with attachments in a dedicated folder within your email client.
  • This can serve as proof that you sent the document.

Use Email Management Tools:

• Tools like Gmail, Outlook, or other email services often provide features to track sent emails, including the time and date they were sent.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi @Douglas03 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you want to keep a record of what you scan and to prove that you sent a scan to a customer using your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer, you can follow these steps:

1. Saving a Record of Your Scans

When you scan a document, you can save it as a file on your computer or a connected device. Here's how:

Using HP Smart App

1. Install HP Smart App: If you haven't already, download and install the HP Smart app from the HP website or your device's app store.
  2. Open HP Smart App: Launch the app and add your printer if it’s not already connected.
  3. Scan a Document:
    • Select Scan.
    • Choose Scanner as the input source.
    • Adjust the scan settings as needed.
    • Click Scan.
  4. Save the Scan: Once the scan is complete, you can save the document to your computer or cloud storage. The app will usually give you options to save it as a PDF, JPEG, or other formats.
  5. Keep Records: Save the scanned file in a dedicated folder on your computer or in a cloud storage service for easy access later.

Using Printer Software

1. Open HP Printer Assistant: This software is typically installed with your printer drivers. You can find it by searching "HP Printer Assistant" in your computer’s start menu.
  2. Scan a Document:
    • Go to Scan.
    • Select Scan a Document or Photo.
    • Adjust the scan settings.
    • Click Scan.
  3. Save the Scan: Save the scanned document to a specified folder on your computer.

2. Proving You Sent a Scan to Your Customer

Emailing the Scan

Send via Email:

• After scanning the document, you can attach it to an email directly from the HP Smart app or using your email client.
  • Use an email service that provides a "sent" folder or a delivery receipt option.
  • Make sure to include the customer's email address and any relevant details in the email body.

Request Delivery and Read Receipts:

• When composing the email, you can request a delivery receipt and a read receipt. This can typically be done by checking the relevant options in your email client (e.g., Outlook, Gmail).
  • A delivery receipt confirms that the email was successfully delivered to the recipient's mail server.
  • A read receipt requests the recipient to acknowledge when they have opened the email.

Keeping a Log

Maintain an Email Log:

• Save copies of sent emails with attachments in a dedicated folder within your email client.
  • This can serve as proof that you sent the document.

Use Email Management Tools:

• Tools like Gmail, Outlook, or other email services often provide features to track sent emails, including the time and date they were sent.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.