Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Hello!  I have been wasting a ton of time trying to figure out how to duplex scan using HP officejet 8600.  Is there a driver or software I need?  Currently when I go to my Printer settings in the control panel, it only displays my printer and fax. I don't really see an option to change the settings on my scanner.  Although, I can scan.  I want to be able to use the top feeder tray to scan two sides.  (I am planning on putting my teaching books all on a USB for easier access and sharing.  That's the main purpose of me purchasing this printer.)

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Which Officejet 8600 model do you have?  The Officejet 8600 Plus and Officejet 8600 Premium have duplex scanning ability, the standard Officejet 8600 does not.  You can check from the front panel with the copy settings - the Plus and Premium have an option for making double sided copies 2:1 or 2:2 for original and copies, the standard version only has options for 1:1 and 1:2.

If you have the Officejet 8600 Plus or Premium what operating system are you using?  How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN or wireless LAN?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Which Officejet 8600 model do you have?  The Officejet 8600 Plus and Officejet 8600 Premium have duplex scanning ability, the standard Officejet 8600 does not.  You can check from the front panel with the copy settings - the Plus and Premium have an option for making double sided copies 2:1 or 2:2 for original and copies, the standard version only has options for 1:1 and 1:2.

If you have the Officejet 8600 Plus or Premium what operating system are you using?  How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN or wireless LAN?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
I think I have model number N279. I don't see 2:1 or 2:2. So I guess mine won't ever be able to duplex scan. That's so upsetting since that's the reason I bought it. Thanks for your help.
HP Recommended

I am not sure what the N279 is.  There is a model of the printer in the upper left on the front, just below the HP logo. Mine says "HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus".  If yours is the Plus or Premium it will be able to scan double sided, if it is the Officejet Pro 8600 model it does not scan duplex.

oj 8600 model.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
How disappointing. The sales person told me it had this function. Now I feel like I purchased s printer I didn't want.
HP Recommended

Where did you purchase the unit?  I would be tempted to return it and get an Officejet 8600 Plus, even if there were a restocking charge.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
I would but I purchased it around Christmas time. So i don't have the box. I was planning on using the feature over summer break.
HP Recommended

The HP Officejet 8600 Pro does not have a true automatic duplex scan, but you can get a semi-automatic duplex scanning by scanning in one side, rotating the output, and running it through the automatic feeder again. The 8600 Pro automatically correlates all of the pages together, so you get a pretty painless scanning ability. Not as good as an automatic duplex feature, but I was surprised at how well it did the semi-automatic duplex scanning.

I used the HP Printer Software that came with the printer – “Scan a Document or Photo”

Load the first 35 pages of the desired document into the automatic document feeder

Start the HP Printer Software – “Scan a Document or Photo”

Choose “Automatic Document Feeder” rather than Flatbed

Check the “Scan both sides (duplex)” box located lower right side of screen

Click “Scan” button

After the first side is scanned a dialog box will pop up telling you to:

1) Remove scanned pages from output tray

2) Without turning pages over, rotate and place them back into document feeder

NOTE: The last page of the document will be the first page scanned through on the second pass

3) Click OK when ready

Once all of the pages are scanned, it will ask you to save them.

*Although not as nice as a real duplex scanner, it is relatively painless if you have the HP Officejet 8600 Pro.

HP Recommended

I feel like I've been shafted by HP again.  Everything about this printer said duplex.  Now I discover it cannot copy or scan duplex.  The one up model,  the plus I think, was like $20 more.  So why bother with one that doesn't do the whole job and irritate customers for $20!!  Not happy. Not buying HP again.

HP Recommended

Too bad the techies at HP could not give me this simple explanation...Thank you for "fixing" this problem.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.