Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Scanning receipts stapled onto A4 sheets.  

Set to flatbed with staples PDF.  B&W A4 one-sided auto orientate  local or network folder.

Started scan using touch display on 8720.

Previous scans of receipts were fine, but not scanned since last year.  8720 bought in October 2016.

2 pages of stapled receipts - both pages with very similar receipts from same retailer.  Ink quality on both receipts look identical - one is not a darker print than the other.

First page scanned correctly.  Second page scanned as though the receipt had been neatly cut up in pieces and some parts of the receipt of different rectangular lengths laid neatly one below the other.  One of the neat sections had print at an angle, not quite fully diagonal. No part of the original receipt was at an angle.

Tried rescanning - same problem.

Checked for updates and rescanned - same problem.

Tried scanning just the second page - same problem.

Troubleshooting info  not relevant.

Very frustrating!!!!

Please can someone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you let us know what are all the settings for your Scan with staples receipts shortcut?

e.g. Source: "Flatbed" or "Use document feeder if loaded", Page Sides : 1-sided or 2-sided, Page Size : ?? Item Type : ?? etc

Destination : ??

Can you watch this video, it might be the last scanned setting is causing the issue when you attempt to scan to computer:

Scan to Computer (New UI)

How to use "Scan to Computer" feature properly

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Did you try to copy the receipt?  Did it have any issues?

Have you installed the FULL feature software?  If not, can you do that?

The following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

Once you have installed, start up the Scan Software.  Select Save as PDF and choose Source to be "Use Flatbed always" from the source and scan.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice 🙂

I copied receipt and it copied correctly - no issues. 

Then I reinstalled FULL feature software.

To start scan software I went into HP print and scan doctor (5.0)

Clicked start

Window opened BUT it runs off the top of the monitor screen so I cannot close window if I need to.  (I have my quick access windows explorer etc running along the top of the screen).

At bottom of window there is 0.75cm where I can see desktop screen (that I get whenever I start my PC).

Only 0.5cm of the start button shows at the bottom of the window before I see small part of the desktop screen behind showing the whole width of the bottom of the monitor.

It is enough to click on the screen.

The next window appears with the same problems, hower there is no sign of the NEXT button so I cannot progress.

I clicked on the printer and then tried the return button, but that did not work.

Only way to close window is to go to desktop, right click support assistant icon and click on close in dialog box.

I had problem with support assistant screen in the past where the window sat at same height on screen - but I was able to access the scan tab previously, but not now.

Was only able to access and use Doctor through HP support assistant.

Then went through finding and fixing scanning problems

'Everything checks out okay'

I did a test scan with the receipt causing problems and that scanned correctly.

Close button on assistant is accessible in window.

'

Set up named shortcut for 'flatbed with staples PDF'

Went to printer to scan from there - as I had done previously.  Only named shortcut on printer screen was PDF.  Used that setting and scanned.  Same issue with same receipt.  This time printed parts of receipt scanned onto 6 seperate pages.

Opened HP officejet pro icon on desktop.

Lefthand side of opened window is off leftside of screen.

To right of window I can see 2.25cm of desktop down length of righthand side of monitor.

Below bottom of window I see 1cm across the whole of the bottom of the monitor.

Close, minimise etc is off the top of the screen.

Top tabs on screen lefthand tab I can only see 'ted' of end of word so don't know what that is.

Print, screen, fax tab - all I see of tab title is 'nt'.

Only able to view print options.  Nowhere can I see the scan options.

What do you suggest please?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Seems that you may need to resize your montior screen size.  You may refer to the monitor manual to reset the monitor settings to default.

Spoiler

Set up named shortcut for 'flatbed with staples PDF'

Went to printer to scan from there - as I had done previously.  Only named shortcut on printer screen was PDF.  Used that setting and scanned.  Same issue with same receipt.  This time printed parts of receipt scanned onto 6 seperate pages.

Sorry, do not understand. Do you have any pictures to show us what was scanned?

Also, the following resource on scanning may help you to scan documents and photos properly:

Scanning for Dummies

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Re scanned pictures to illustrate issue, there is nowhere in this reply box or options above it to allow me to attach scanned pictures.  How do I do that please?

Monitor issue sorted thanks 🙂

Thanks for scanning for dummies  🙂  

Scanning issue remains.  I could not find any videos that were helpful.

I can scan correctly if I initiate scanning each page from my PC using flatbed and 'flatbed with staples PDF'.

However, if I initiate and do all scanning at printer,  issue remains.  I cannot locate printer next to my scanner so need to stand by printer to load all pages onto flatbed.  There are over 50 pages with stapled receipts.

Hope you can help me with this issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you let us know what are all the settings for your Scan with staples receipts shortcut?

e.g. Source: "Flatbed" or "Use document feeder if loaded", Page Sides : 1-sided or 2-sided, Page Size : ?? Item Type : ?? etc

Destination : ??

Can you watch this video, it might be the last scanned setting is causing the issue when you attempt to scan to computer:

Scan to Computer (New UI)

How to use "Scan to Computer" feature properly

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

My apologies, I just came back to check I had said thank you, to discover I hadn't.  😞

Thanks so much for your help.  I was able to solve the problem with your suggestions.  Thank you for taking the time to help me, I really appreciated it. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @LibranGoat,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.