Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been using the HP Laserjet Pro cm1415fnw for over a year without a problem.  At the time when I first purchased the unit, I was using a Dell desktop with Windows XP and connected the printer via USB port.  I was able to print and scan from my computer, including from within applications that use TWAIN scanning driver such as Word, Acrobat, etc.

I have since upgraded to an HP slimline s5-1160 computer using Windows 7.  I installed the Laserjet software from my installation CD's without a problem.  The printer is connected to the computer by USB port.  I can continue to print without a problem.  However, I no longer am able to scan using the HP software (HPscan.exe) nor from within applications that use TWAIN scanning driver such as Word, Acrobat, etc.  When I attempt to do so, it takes a long time before it asks me what TWAIN scan driver to select.  When I select the HP cm1410 MFP series, the program either crashes or reverts to the state it was before I attempted to scan an image into a document from within the program.

I can however scan successfully using the Windows Scan and Fax wizard or if I choose "Devices and Printers" from the Start Menu and select "Start scan" from the menu after right-clicking the HP printer icon.  However this option limits my use of the scanner -- I cannot scan to a PDF nor can I scan multiple pages into an OCR application.  I'm forced to scan to either a JPG or TIF or PNG.

As for attempting to resolve this problem I have done the following with no success:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the full software and drivers (and using the most recent version on the HP website)

2. Change USB ports and/or cables

3. Run the HP scan diagnostic utility, which seems to show an error at the WIA scanning step and then recommends that I uuninstall and reinstall the full software.  When I skip that and allow it to check for TWAIN scanning, it gives me a similar error, suggesting that I use the most recent version of the drivers (the driver that I am using is v 3.0 dated 11/12/2009)  Therefore in this case the HP scan diagnostic utility does NOT provide a fix for this problem other than uninstall and reinstall, which I have done several times to no avail

4. Contact HP support both for the computer and the multifunction printer (which as I understand are different support staff).  The printer staff claims it's a software problem and that the computer staff should be able to resolve it (something about not having "launchpad" installed properly.  When I contact the computer staff, they claim it's a printer driver issue.  So I am at a standstill

5. I researched the HP support forums only to find from this link - http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02661093 - that if you cannot scan from HP software that you can use the programs that rely on WIA drivers (Windows Fax and Scan) which I already know I can do but implies that HP does NOT have a solution for how to scan using their own software!

My gut tells me that this is one of those problems that many others may have but for which there is no workable solution.  It's possible that during the course of uninstalling and reinstalling the software, remnants may remain behind that prevent proper functioning of the drivers, but without knowing how to specifically "clean" those remnants before reinstalling the software, I am at a loss.  Oh and by the way, I've also tried using CCleaner and Norton Registry Cleaner in an attempt to clean those remnants, but that effort didn't help.  

My question is basically this... does anyone know of a fix around this problem or must I resign myself to using the Windows Fax and Scan wizard to scan in documents and images and forget about using TWAIN programs as HP seems to be suggesting?  I would think that given that I am using an HP printer/scanner along with an HP computer with Windows 7 that this problem should NOT be a problem!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Radiopeople,

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:

1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files

2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition

3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure

4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:

1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.

2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.

4. 2 services should be listed.

5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.

7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.

8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.

9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.

10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error.

Check dependencies or sub dependencies:

Right click on WIA (Windows Imaging Acquisition) selecting first properties and then the dependencies tab. It should list: Remote Procedure Call RPC  and  Shell Harward Detection

Under RPC it will then list DCOM Service Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper Go back to the main services.msc list and then right click and start all the items listed as dependencies or sub dependencies under WIA

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi iacofr, 

Run the following utility

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02744415

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I tried the HP Scan utility.  It gets hung up on the WIA scan check, then prompts me to uninstall and reinstall the software, which I do from the most recent version on the HP support website.  After several attempts, I still cannot the HP software to work properly.  I can still scan from the Scan and faz Wizard, but not from within any application that looks for a TWAIN driver nor from the hpscan.exe program itself.  When I attempt to run it, nothing happens!

The HP scan diagnostic utlity only advises me to uninstall and reinstall the software, which doesn't seem to work.  I suspect there are remnants left over from the uninstallation that may be preventing the software from reinstalling properly.  I even tried CCleaner and Norton 360 to clean up the registry before reinstalling the HP software, but still it doesn't work!

What can I do next?

HP Recommended

Hi iacofr,

Run the uninstall from the add/remove programs, and then run the Disk cleanup from Program files\Accessories\System Tools. When Disk cleanup is finished reinstall the printer.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I did as you suggested, uninstalled the software from the Add/Remove programs (which started up the HP installation software to uninstall the program anyway) and then I ran Disk Cleanup.  But after I reinstalled the software the problem remains.

I even ran the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility, and again it gets hung up on the Windows (WIA) Scan prompting that it detected a scan software problem and that I should install the latest software dirvers (which I just did to no avail!).  When I skip the WIA test and go on to the HP TWAIN test, a prompt asks me to select the HP cm1410 series MFP scanner, which I do, but then the diagnostic utlity gets hung up and informs me that the Twain component is not functioning correctly because the product is being used by another process. 

What should I do next?

HP Recommended

Hi iacofr,

Instatll the printer on a different computer, and then let me know if you have the same issue?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Before attempting to install the printer on my computer (HP slimline s5-1160), I had been able to successfully install the printer previously on two other computers: a Lenovo T-410 laptop (work computer using Windows XP) and an HP Pavilion Elite HPE (wife's computer using Windows 7).

On those computers, I can use the TWAIN driver from within applications without a problem, and the HPSCAN.exe file works as well.  Both computers connect to the printer wirelessly.

It is while trying to install the printer on my home computer via USB that I am having all sorts of difficulty. I have also tried to connect my s5-1160 to the printer wirelessly from my computer. I also checked the Windows Services, and all seems fine there.  I also tried switching USB ports and cables.   Again, no luck with the scanning using TWAIN driver. 

One other point: when I use the original installation CD that came with the printer to install on the s5-1160, the installation seems to stop when it says "Checking requirements for installation"  That didn't happen with the two other computers.   However, that problem doesn't happen the s5-1160 when I used the more recent version of the full software from the HP website.

Let me reiterate.  I have never had any problems with printing from any computer.  The scanner works fine from my s5-1160 if I resort to using the scanner and fax wizard using the WIA drivers.  What I am unable to do is to get the scanner to work from within an application using the TWAIN driver or if I use the native HP application (hpscan.exe).  Nothing seems to happen.   Because of that I cannot scan directly into a PDF.

And the only fix that the HP scan diagnostic utility continues to recommend is that I uninstall and reinstall the software.  It shows errors in the WIA scanning step and TWAIN step.

Is it possible that because of behind-the-scenes Windows updates that my s5-1160 is receiving that a software conflict is created that prevents the TWAIN driver from functioning properly?  Other than that I am at a loss to figure out why this is happening.

HP Recommended

Hi iacofr,

It appears that the operating system on this computer is contributing to the installation failures. I would suggest backing up your data, and then run a full system restore on the computer to isolate issues with the operating system. Once you have completed the full system restore install the printer before installing any other software. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi. Ok, I am having the EXACT same issue with HPScan and my Deskjet 1055. Worked great for 6 months. Then, suddenly, no more. Exactly the same errors described above.

I just re-formatted and restored my entire system. Re-installed the HP drivers and software and it worked for MOST of the day. Then, suddenly, it stopped and we are back to the errors and the HPScan not loading.

HP Recommended

Hi Radiopeople,

Run the following utility.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-104282-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.