Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!, this fix my printer!, thanks for the images it was very clear!.

This is the kind of support that we need, this is the customer satisfaction that have quality.
"Contact HP Support" is not the solution, is a waste of time and money.

Thank you again!!! 😃

HP Recommended

Hi,  did you have to do this more than once?  I've tried twice now but still get the same error after I turn the printer back on.

HP Recommended
Hi thanks for your interest, it worked for me first time as I worked out how to sort out myself. The only thing I can think is to power the printer up until it finishes its cycle then without pressing the power button pull the power lead out of the back then go through the whole process. You must make sure that the light bar is placed as far to the other end as possible you will feel the cogs slot in. Good luck
HP Recommended
Thanks so much for the pictures and detailed info this fixed my scanner on my 18 month old HP officejet 4500 g510n. This is what support is all about.

Best regards,

Eddie bellamy
HP Recommended
Good, another success, and thanks for your positive comments, my printer is still going strong after my first post I'm glad I took the time to work it out. Thanks
HP Recommended
Hi, how did you get on with your repair, did it work in the end ?.
HP Recommended

I tried your suggestion of pulling the power cord from the back after the power up cycle and then going through the steps but still no luck.  The light is still stuck on the right side and I'm getting the same Scanner Failure error. 

HP Recommended
Lift the scanner lid press the power button and tell what the light bar does when it cycles up.
HP Recommended

The scanner bar light comes on shortly and turns off, then the scanner bar moves a few inches to the left and then back to the right, the light then flashes a few times then stays on while the warm up finishes and then goes off, then the error message "Scanner failure, unable to scan, copy, or send  a fax.  Press OK." is displayed.

HP Recommended

One of the suggestions on the scanner error message actually worked!  I got an LCD error message, typed it into google, and the first item that popped up was a link to the HP Solutions Center.

I clicked on the link and the very first suggestion I tried.  Sure enough, IT WORKED!!  Thank you!, HP Solution Center and to all those that blog in answers!  I appreciate the help!

@Taylorn72 wrote:
Well folks thanks for the tips.

I had the same scanner failure error on my HP Officejet which was a hardly used and fairly new printer so admittedly I was annoyed when it failed.

I tried all of the solutions on here and non worked - being honest problem appears to be more mechanical than power giberish. Fortunately I bought a new printer as one was for another room anyway so I thought; "what the hell. if brains won't work then maybe BRAWN will" so......

I bashed the plastic where the scanner had stopped on right hand side of the scanner, then in the middle of the left hand side on the scanner (glass/scanning section), theres a spindle so I tried turning this around with a big Allen Key in the direction it spun freely and then tried again. It didn't work so I thought..... EXPLETIVE ***^$** IT and turned it around the opposite way and heard a couple of crunches as I had nothing to lose as would bin the 4500 alltogether anyway.

Having had a good couple of crunches against the direction of the free spinning cogs (WARNING - don't overdo it 2-3 at most - no liabilty here if you break your own stuff)I turned the 4500 back on......

Result...... Orange Light, Gone, Error Message GONE.................4500 Works as good as new.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.