Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp8710 workforce pro
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

When I run out of a color of ink, is there a way to set the machine to print in ONLY black?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

When the Color ink is low, the printer will automatically prompt to print in black.

However, you need to replace the color ink soon as the pritner will stop printing until the Color ink is replaced after a while.

If you only want to print Black, try using the Driver settings to Print Black only. (need to have the FULL feature software installed)

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device and Printers > Right click on your printer and select Printing Preferences > go to Advanced and select Print in Black only.

Example shown below.

7510 Black ink only.jpg

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi -  I am having the problem listed above with not being able to print "black ink only", and am wondering where would I access the FULL feature software indicated in the response from Provost?  

I am trying to access the printing preferences, but I do not see it as an option.

I see I have an option to sign up for the following:

Driver - HP Easy Start

3rd Party Ap - Readiris Pro 14 for HP

Firstmware - HP Officejet Pro 8710/8720 Firmware Update

When I use the help chat, they connected me to someone that wanted to sell me software to protect my computer vs giving me the driver or the information that I needed to fix it on my own.

It would be awesome to use my printer by printing in black in only like I have done in the past.  This one seems to not work   having the keep all the colored cartridges supplied with ink.   

HP Recommended

Hi @lawantstoprint,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

The following resource will help you download the FULL feature software:

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/drivers

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response!  It is very much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hi @lawantstoprint

Hope the post helps to resolve your issue.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

Hi there!

I'm experiencing the same problem of not being able to set my printer to printing in black only.

I've downloaded the software with the link you posted and installed it. Still there is no option coming up in order to set it to print in black only.

My menu looks also differently than on the picture you posted.

Thank you so much for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi Christiane,

I have been facing the same problems as you and was able to find the grayscale setting in the "Paper/Quality" folder, not the advanced section. Most likely just an update.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.