Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

I am trying to set up duplex scanning on my new 8012 HP printer. 

I have found out after buying that HP Smart doesn't offer this and that I have to set up scan to email, How do I do this? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Kopsidas 

@Kopsidas wrote:

I am trying to set up duplex scanning on my new 8012 HP printer. 

I have found out after buying that HP Smart doesn't offer this and that I have to set up scan to email, How do I do this? 

OK.  I am surprised - I had no idea that there is a separate version of HP Smart for Windows in "S" mode.  It is particularly weird since HP Smart for Windows 10 actually installs from the Windows Store.

For those reading:

Windows in "S" mode is a subset version of Windows that only allows software to be installed from the Windows Store.

HP Smart for Windows

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

Information below for Mobile devices - many, certainly not all, of the printer's features are available using a supported application on your mobile device.

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first - List of printers and supported applications

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers

HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

HP Smart - iOS and Android - Download, How-to and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Mobile Printing – “Show and Tell” – Step by Step How-to

Learn how to connect and use your printer with your device

HP Mobile Printing - Print from Smart phone or Tablet

=============================================================

Discussion

It is perhaps the printer that does not support the option you seek.

Minimum ADF scan size (metric)
127 x 127 mm
Maximum ADF scan size (metric)
216 x 356 mm (one-sided); A4

For those of us still living in the dark ages:  

127 mm is 5 inches

216 x 356 mm = 8.5 x 14 inches

A4 paper is 8.27 × 11.69 inches (8.3 x 11.7 inches)

In general, for other than those mentioned and for some custom sizes, duplex is supported.

So, I certainly do not disagree, though I wonder at the difference in HP Smart for Windows 10 as compared to HP Smart in "S" mode.

Following is an example of the HP Smart "main menu" and another example of the "scan page" menu in regular Windows.

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1

HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Screen_1

So, what to do?

I don't know.  Sad, here.

Scan to Email

Assuming you are not trying to scan something the printer cannot do (too large for duplex or ADF), Scan-to-Email probably would not  help since you need to have an application that supports the Scan-to-Email process.  Obviously, I could be missing something - it happens.

Perhaps you can use ePrint, though in truth, ePrint has even more restrictions about what it can do than most other applications.  I am not sure it supports duplex, for example.

The user manual explains the options available, including those for scan, print, and ePrint.

Unfortunately, most of these assume you can use the HP Smart application.

User Guide

I don't see Scan to Email described in the User Guide.

Examples of an email client installed on the computer:

Outlook (for example, part of Microsoft Office software)

Thunderbird (using Imap to provide access to your email)

Windows Mail - part of Windows

How to Scan (Windows)

You are still going to need an application to support the Scan to Email setup.

=====================================================================

Webscan

Using the Printer Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Example

EWS_9025_Webscan_Settings_Security_AdministratorEWS_9025_Webscan_Settings_Security_Administrator

EWS_9025_Webscan_1EWS_9025_Webscan_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 8012 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

in layman’s terms does this mean I cannot duplex scan then?

HP Recommended

@Kopsidas 

So, not even Webscan works?

No extra software is required for Webscan.

In layman's terms:

I don't know.

I suspect there is something I am missing.  People do use Windows S (not a lot, but some of you) - and I would guess that you (as a general group) have printers.  What you (as a group) are using for print and scan software is not something I can answer.   Silly Dragon, I though HP Smart would work with "S" mode windows.

The printer supports duplex, at least on standard sizes - you did not mention you are using odd paper sizes (which is likely not be supported regardless of software).

Calling in Assistance:

@ShlomiL 

What am I missing?

I realize there is something odd here.

What is going on with Windows in S mode and HP Smart using duplex scan option?

Thanks for any insight.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

the HP Officejet 8012 supports automatic duplex printing only, it does not offer any duplex scan capabilities (ADF Duplexing).

You cannot scan both sides with the printer automatically as the printer doesn't support any such.

Scanning both sides manually can only be done with the HP Full Feature Software using the HP Scan application, not with the HP Smart app, while you cannot use the HP Full Feature Software on a Windows 10 in S mode PC and therefore it will not apply for your computer.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Thanks. 

I thought perhaps there was something odd about this printer series and I did not untangle the documentation correctly.

I will try to remember it this time.  Slightly embarrassed here...

So,

The HP Smart is not at fault for the behavior (in "S" mode Windows ), it is the printer that won't support the duplex scan function.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.