Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Laserjet 3015
Microsoft Windows XP

I've got an older 3015 AIO that just started giving me a scanner problem.  Half of a scanned page scans vertically black.  Unit prints fine.   I found a diagnostic "calibration graph" and tried the red channel, I get a nice curve which then either drops to nothing or infinity, can't tell which. 

Is this a symptom of a scanner unit failure?  Or should I look at connections, motor, or memory?  I want to have the right part on hand if possible when I take the thing apart, because it looks like it's not easy from the service manual.

Any other diagnostics that might help pin things down? 

thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, just to close out this topic, it did turn out to be a scanner failure.  My theory is that the scanner is lit by LEDs from both sides of the page, and one bank failed.  The part number for this printer was RM1-0927, which I got by taking it apart.

Half hour or so and a donor parts printer that coughed up its own working version, and I'm back in business.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Attached is what a scan looks like.  Wished I'd saved the other orientation, but imagine a robust graph in the upper right corner, which then falls directly into the line you see in the middle left margin, if you can.

bozo.jpg

HP Recommended

So, just to close out this topic, it did turn out to be a scanner failure.  My theory is that the scanner is lit by LEDs from both sides of the page, and one bank failed.  The part number for this printer was RM1-0927, which I got by taking it apart.

Half hour or so and a donor parts printer that coughed up its own working version, and I'm back in business.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.