3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

M428fdw add fax driver as target to print

MFP M428
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed the M428 using the full download suite, but am having a hard time creating a fax driver so I can "print" to the fax. I have set up the digital fax, which works; and if I run HP Printer assistant, it shows the fax is there, and I can send and receive.

The print driver installs, and I can see the fax driver subdirectory; under printers, in the Print Server Properties dialog, I can see the HPLJM428f fax driver listed ...

But there is no HP M428 listed as a fax device under windows, so I can' print to it as a device from other apps.

It is on the local network, and it shows up properly, and I can access it and look at all the device pages.

I somehow got it to show up one one of my computers somehow (ie both printer and fax), but can't reproduce it on my other networked printers.

HOW do I add it so I see the M428 as both a printer (for paper) but also as a fax device?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
arthrodoc
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried a complete uninstall and reinstalll on1 of the computers, and this time it  installed the printer as a fax machine, so I can fax with it however it does not seem to be able to let me install it as a printer as well, so on this computer I can only fax and not print!  How do I install both?

0 Kudos
arthrodoc
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Did the whole sequence again: Complete and installation, as was suggested by a post at an autodesk website:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-manually-uninstal...

That was followed by a reboot of the system.

.. Then went through the full install using the full driver package, with another re-boot after the installation.

Finally with all of that it seemed to install both the fax in the printer driver. It really should not be that difficult.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation