Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MFP M428
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed the M428 using the full download suite, but am having a hard time creating a fax driver so I can "print" to the fax. I have set up the digital fax, which works; and if I run HP Printer assistant, it shows the fax is there, and I can send and receive.

The print driver installs, and I can see the fax driver subdirectory; under printers, in the Print Server Properties dialog, I can see the HPLJM428f fax driver listed ...

But there is no HP M428 listed as a fax device under windows, so I can' print to it as a device from other apps.

It is on the local network, and it shows up properly, and I can access it and look at all the device pages.

I somehow got it to show up one one of my computers somehow (ie both printer and fax), but can't reproduce it on my other networked printers.

HOW do I add it so I see the M428 as both a printer (for paper) but also as a fax device?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did the whole sequence again: Complete and installation, as was suggested by a post at an autodesk website:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-manually-uninstal...

That was followed by a reboot of the system.

.. Then went through the full install using the full driver package, with another re-boot after the installation.

Finally with all of that it seemed to install both the fax in the printer driver. It really should not be that difficult.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I tried a complete uninstall and reinstalll on1 of the computers, and this time it  installed the printer as a fax machine, so I can fax with it however it does not seem to be able to let me install it as a printer as well, so on this computer I can only fax and not print!  How do I install both?

HP Recommended

Did the whole sequence again: Complete and installation, as was suggested by a post at an autodesk website:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-manually-uninstal...

That was followed by a reboot of the system.

.. Then went through the full install using the full driver package, with another re-boot after the installation.

Finally with all of that it seemed to install both the fax in the printer driver. It really should not be that difficult.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.