Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8725
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ever since HP pushed an update to my printer, I have only been able to "Scan to Computer" for one session after a complete printer driver uninstall and reinstall. I've run the Print and Scan Doctor, but that doesn't work because it says it can't find my computer. And yet I can still print from the computer to the printer. But I can't scan.

I've followed extensive directions including removing the printer and uninstalling from the Run command using printui. I've then used HP's Smart install programs to reinstall. And it works for that session.  But then won't the next session or the next day. So I then uninstalled everything including running a deep search and remove for all leftover registry items, files, etc. Reinstalled using the HP Easy Start app. Again ... it runs for ONE session, then can't find the computer the next time it's needed.

I've uninstalled and tried using the Basic Drivers. Scan works for one session, then won't work the next day. Every single time it says it can't find the computer on the 2nd day. 

The FixScan program does not work. Says it can't find my computer. But I can print from my computer to the printer. 

The Scan to PC Activation app is loading at start up. Scan.exe is sitting active in tasks. But it won't scan.

I think there's an issue with the Scan driver. The printer works fine in every other way. This work flawlessly until the printer's firmware was updated (I think that was the start of the problem.)

IS there a fix for this? This is incredibly frustrating and time consuming.  I'm about ready to throw this printer out the window. I need to scan almost every day and don't have time to continually uninstall and reinstall this printer. And, of course, it's out of warranty ...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Gabrille

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Do you have any other computer with you where in you can install the Printer on that and try scanning?

Are you able to copy well?

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, Betty. I do have a 2nd computer, however that computer is successfully using another HP Printer with scan capabilities and I do not want to risk trying to install another driver on it potentially corrupting what seems to be working on that combination.

Yes, I can copy

Please note: Since writing my original post here, I've again followed extensive instructions about uninstalling the printer that were provided elsewhere in this forum, along with doing my best to ensure that no residue of the printer resided on the system anywhere.  I then reinstalled the printer and scan driver yet again. Once again, I was able to initiate a scan from the printer to the computer. On the first day.

My system shuts down at the end of a day ... next day the scan was unable to find the computer again. And yet I could print from the computer to the printer. And I am able to initiate a copy at the printer.

Interestingly, I can use the HP Smart app to initiate the scan from my computer. But when the scan is initiated from the printer, the computer cannot be found. While a workaround, it's not nearly as useful. Having to go to the printer, load in the various documents, walk back to the computer, initiate each scan, then back to the printer to load up the next scan, etc. is convoluted and cumbersome. 

Note that I did NOT have any issues with the scan to computer initiating from the printer until Scan Drivers were updated and, I believe, the HP Smart app was added. 

HP Recommended

@Gabrille 

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.       In Windows, search for and open Programs and features   

2.       Select your HP Printer   

3.       Select Uninstall   

4.       In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers   

5.       In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’   

6.       Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.   

7.       Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)   

8.       Click on the “Drivers” tab   

9.       Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom   

10.   Select Ok   

11.   Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows   

12.   Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer. 

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Praveen, those are EXACTLY the steps I've followed. Twice now. Each time scan to computer works in the current session. The next day it does NOT work. 

There is something wrong with that driver. It used to work reliably. Scanning is a critical part of my work flow. I need this to work again. It does not work.

HP Recommended

Try the other methods of scanning, which you haven't: 

HP and Microsoft have developed tools and apps to scan from a Windows computer. These apps include the HP Smart app, HP Scan and Capture app, Windows Paint, and the Windows Scan app.

• Printer control panel: If your printer has a touchscreen control panel with a Scan option, you can use it to scan to your computer or email.

• HP Smart app (Windows 10): Search the Microsoft Store for HP Smart to find and install this app. For more information, go to Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10).

• HP Scan and Capture app (Windows 10, 😎: Scan documents or photos from the printer or webcam. A full feature print driver must be installed on the computer. For more information, go to Using the HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 8 and 10).

• Windows Scan app (Windows 10, 😎: Search the Microsoft Store for windows scan to find and install this app.

• Microsoft Paint (All Windows versions): Search Windows for paint, and then open the Paint desktop app. Click File or the menu icon , and then click From scanner or camera.

• Windows Fax and Scan (All Windows versions): Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.

• Webscan utility (network printers): Obtain the printer IP address and use it to open the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS) in a web browser. On your printer's website, click Webscan on the Scan tab.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

With thanks for your reply, Betty, you're missing the point. I can scan TO the printer from the computer. The scan TO THE COMPUTER from the printer does not work.

I.e., I can initiate the scan if I am sitting at the computer using HPs Smart App. However, if I've properly connected the printer to the computer and walk to the printer and initiate the scan to computer printer option, the printer cannot find the computer. 

Yes, it's properly installed. Yes, it finds the IP address. It works only for one session. When the computer is turned off at night then back on, it does not work.

The Scan to Computer app does not properly reload or reinitialize itself on reboot or restart.

HP Recommended

At this point, we'll have to wait for the firmware update to fix it. This happens from the flat bed and the ADF, correct?

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is not much of a solution frankly. The idea that HP broke their Scan to Computer app allowing scanning to be initiated from the printer control panel and must wait for HP to update their firmware is not a solution.

Note that Scan to Computer worked fine until I made the mistake of updating the printer's firmware and downloaded the new drivers.

This is an unresolved issue. You do not have the answer

HP Recommended

This happens from the flat bed and the ADF, correct?

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.