Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After scanning a document, when I go to save it, it duplicates the name and wants to overwrite another document. It used to save as scan0001.pdf but now it just saves as scan.pdf. I tried to edit the base name scan, but I don't know how to get it to add the numbers (ex. 0001, 0002, 0003) or an extension so that it automatically adds the numbers, Please help! Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @uofkfan ,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What you write here is correct if you save a single scan.

However, if you scan more than one page in a session and have selected "separate file for each page scanned" in the settings, you can save and the file name for each file would be incremented.

But this only works if the scan folder is empty!

Save as JPEG 019-1.png

If you only scan a single page, so now you can change the file name, for example from 0001 to 0010 or to "my first scan".

Save as PDF 017-1.png

Remember that you can only scan more than one side over the flatbed at a resolution of 300 or less!

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andreas

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks”!

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

Let's say I save a single scan, it will save as scan.pdf to my scan folder. Now I want to scan and save a different document, it also will save as scan.pdf and then ask if I want to overwrite it. Before, it would save each different document as scan0001.pdf, scan0002.pdf, etc. (see screen shot).  I do not know how to get it to do this again. The first screen you show, under file name, my computer calls it the base name, which I put scan. It will not let me add any punctuation. Any thoughts?

uofkfan_0-1591998728331.png

HP Recommended

@uofkfan wrote:

Let's say I save a single scan, it will save as scan.pdf to my scan folder. Now I want to scan and save a different document, it also will save as scan.pdf and then ask if I want to overwrite it.

Just add a "1" to the name of "scan.pdf", the resolute is = scan1.pdf, then save. The next scan will then get a 2 and so on.

@uofkfan wrote:

it would save each different document as scan0001.pdf, scan0002.pdf, etc. (see screen shot).  I do not know how to get it to do this again.

This still works today when several pages are scanned individually. But attention: the resolution must be 300 dpi or less.

Look at my photo: Save as PDF 017-1.png. You habe to enable, with a click on, separate page into multiple documents.

Then in HP Scan, click Scan.
The printer scans your document, and then HP Scan displays a preview.
To add pages or scan the other side, click the Add pages icon on the bottom bar, place the next item face-down on the scanner glass, and then click Scan.

On your screenshot I see a lot of old scans. Move all these scans to another folder.

You can read more or other information about Scan here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andreas

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks”!

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.