Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've read posts from years ago, and have yet to see a resolution. But when using the BiosConfigUtility to set the boot order I am unable to set sub boot orders. 

Example I get:

Legacy Boot Order
    Hard Drive
    ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
    USB Floppy/CD

When I need to set:

Legacy Boot Order
    Hard Drive

USB Hard Drive

SATA0

ATAPI CD-ROM Drive

USB Floppy/CD

Has there been any work around, or update to this issue?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to HP PC Client Management. - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

hi, after redoing the boot order press f10 until you see save and exit, try that.

HP Recommended

What I'm trying to do is set the boot order from windows. Running "BiosConfigUtility.exe /SETCONFIG:"C:\BOOTORDER.txt"

The problem is that there is no way to set "sub items" such as I previously posted. 

HP Recommended

Did you end up getting anywhere with this one? I am having the same issue.

You can re-order the main options like NIC, HDD, CD/DVD, etc. But the problem I am having is that USB and HDD are both under the HDD category and you can't re-order it to boot off HDD first then USB using the BIOS Config Utility

We are looking at trying to fix this on a fleet of PCs and manually going into the BIOS is not an option

HP Recommended

Could you tell us the prouduct name?

HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

I came across this thread as I was facing the very same issue with a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 model. We are introducing a USB MDT solution and having the USB boot before the Hard Drive (SATA0) when imaging this model isn't ideal and can cause a bit of confusion with Technicians building for the first time. Its quite easy to forget and walk away and think the deployment will complete only to see it boot back into the MDT WINPE environment.

Anyways much like yourselfs I couldn't deal with the sub menu for the Hard Drive Boot order. tried many things. What seemed to work for me is as follows.

Get the config file using the BiosConfigUtilty.exe /GetConfig:config.txt

Open up the config.txt and change the Hard Drive Entry to include the following:

Hard Drive (SATA1 or USB Hard Drive)

or

Hard Drive (SATA1)

The values are what you see when you do a F9 boot, my test machine Hard Drive was being identified as SATA1 and the USB value as USB Hard Drive. Your system may identify the Hard Drive as SATA0 so just adjust as necessary. The first option suits me as I need  to initially boot to a USB flash drive, although as I am testing as I write it does't seem to make much of a difference.

By appending the (SATA1) entry  or whatever sata port your device is using, seems to force the BIOS to use the Proper Hard Drive as the first device rather than using the USB.

Once happy apply the setting

BiosConfigUtilty.exe /SetConfig:config.txt and reboot. Hopefully this will ammend the boot order.

Just as side note, if you reget the config you will not see the settings that you added. It does work but keep the ammended file for future use. I am hoping to incorporate this into a MDT task sequence within the WINPE phase so that when the pc reboots it goes straight to the Hard Drive.

Cheers,

Ewen.

HP Recommended

That worked for me on the HP ProOne 600 G1 AiO.  Thanks.  HP should fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi Ewen,

Your solution works for me on the 800G1 but only temporarily. BCU successfully changes the boot order in my task sequence to boot off of the internal HDD and then the USB drive. But it resets back to USB first and then HDD after another reboot in my task sequence.

Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.