Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If you are having trouble connecting, it could be your VPN is blocking RGS. 

Sometimes brokers cause difficulty in connections.  Also there are different ports that should be open. 

RGS Sender uses 42966 to listen on.  Make sure this is not being blocked.  Windows Receivers use the following range of ports:  need to make sure these are not being blocked.

Windows ephemeral source Port Ranges 49152-65535

Linux ephemeral source Port Ranges 32768-61000

Also, check to see if there is any deep packet inspection being done, and if so, make RGS an exception.  Encryption could be a problem. 

Here are some troubleshooting things to try.  What version of RGS are you using on both you sender and receiver? 

Failed connection attempts

This section describes the most common issues that cause RGS connection attempts to fail.

Receiver checklist

Use the following checklist to troubleshoot failed connection attempts from the receiver side:

Verify that you are entering the correct hostname or IP address for the sender.

If you changed the port that RGS Sender listens on from its default of 42966, you must specify the port number along with the hostname or IP address like in the following examples:

MyHostName:12345

192.168.0.10:12345

Verify that the receiver is on the same network as the sender.

Verify that the receiver can ping the sender.

If the receiver is behind a firewall, verify that the firewall supports network address translation (NAT).

Sender checklist

Use the following checklist to troubleshoot failed connection attempts from the sender side:

NOTE: After going through this checklist, make sure you log out of the sender before attempting an RGS connection again.

Verify the credentials for the user account you are trying to access from the receiver. The account password cannot be blank.

Verify that RGS Sender has started on the sender (see RGS Sender overview on page 23 for more information).

Verify that all tests pass on the Diagnostics panel of the RGS Sender Configuration tool.

If the sender is behind a firewall, verify that the firewall supports network address translation (NAT) and port forwarding.

If you changed the network interface binding of RGS Sender from its default of listening to all network interfaces, verify that the sender is listening on the correct network interface (see Sender network interface binding on page 70 for more information).

(Windows only)

Verify that the sender is not using Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) by typing the following in a command window:

netstat -n -a

If the IP address associated with the RGS Sender listening port (42966 by default) is private, APIPA is the likely cause. For information about how to disable APIPA, go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/ 220874.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I would like to use the RGS software but I feel like its way to complicated to connect from receiver to sender, I understand some aspects in the TCP/IP and VPN setup but it way too complicated to follow on from your post “Re: HP RGS via VPN 03-29-2018 08:55 AM” as I have pretty much exhausted the checklists mentioned there. There’s probably something simple I’m missing....I thought that the remote session creates a VPN automatically? 

here a the specs, 

Sender.

windows 7 pro, Z420 workstation, running latest RGS7.5....Sender app Only

Windows firewall settings as per RGS7.5 user guide

Receiver.

Windows10 pro, running latest RGS7.5....Receiver app Only...

Windows firewall settings as per RGS7.5 user guide

issues:

I tried to log in at the receiver side at home, with, host name, full computer name and entering the direct ip, both, ip the listed ip on the work network and the ip listed under “what’smyip” to no avail.

my it dep has said we are not allowed to Remote Desktop using the windows based RDC as this right is only for senior management, so most of us are using Team Viewer but this is cumbersome in CAD applications. I do not need to send files an data over the connection, I just want to be able to work from home and use the workstations native hardware/software.

any help would be appreciated Steve

HP Recommended

Happy to do a call with you if that would help but it sounds like your sender is being blocked on your work network from incoming connections.  RGS does not work well with firewalls, I usually disable mine on my receiver.  However control of firewalls at work for the sender is usually through your IT.   Are you able to do a basic ping from your home receiver to your work sender and get a successful reply or does it time out?  RGS does not setup VPNs.  You only need HP Velocity enabled if you are on a network that has latency.  Have you unchecked HP Velocity in the Receiver GUI settings under performance?  When you make the change, and save it, close the receiver and relaunch it.  Then try making the connection.

Will reach out to you in a private email so we can arrange a call if you would like.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi KellyRGS, 

Have the HP Velocity enabled, yes I can ping the WAN IP no problem it does not time out, I can not ping the LAN IP this times out from my home PC. I have done an netstat CMD an found that the RGS default listening port is not on list other ports are listed. There is a Group Policy in place regarding the Firewall, hoever I can not see the sender as being blocked how do I unblock it etc.

Is it possible to do a call?

HP Recommended

In your response, you mention that HP Velocity is enabled.  Have you tried making a connection with HP Velocity being unchecked in the Receiver GUI under Performance?  You mention you can ping the sender but I am guessing that is when you are at work.  At home, it sounds like you cannot ping the IP address for the sender.  Let's schedule a call, will reply again in private email to schedule. 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Also curious if you got this to work, and how.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.