Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good afternoon,

I am just in the process of setting up the SSM application on our network and I am getting the following errors when trying to run the update on a local PC. I haven't been able to find anything helpful in the setup documentation as to what could be causing these errors. I've tried this on a brand new system without any AV client installed as well as on existing systems on our network with an AV client installed and get the same message both times.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

System Software Manager Log File

•  Texas Instruments IOI USB 3.0 2+2 Port PCIe Drivers (SP57314.CVA Syntax v.): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""Texas Instruments xHCI Driver v1.12.24.exe" /S/v/qn") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code=0x1))
  •  Intel AMT LMS_SOL for AMT 7.xx (SP56760.CVA Syntax v.): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""Setup.exe" -s") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code=0x1))
  •  NVIDIA Quadro Professional Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7 64-Bit Operating Systems (SP57262.CVA Syntax v.): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""setup.exe" -s -n") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code=0x1))
  •  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise Utility and Driver for Microsoft Windows (SP56779.CVA Syntax v.): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""RSTe_3.1.0.1085.exe" -s") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code=0x1))
  •  Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7 (SP56421.CVA Syntax v.): Problem encountered when launching the install command. Command line was (cmd.exe /c ""Setup.exe" /s") which returned (Assuming Failure (Return code=0x1))
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The errors that you are experiencing are indications that the installation software failed to install - not that SSM failed.

SSM has a section in the CVA file that allows SSM to translate a return code from the installation package into a meaningful message.

example from an alternate SoftPaq - SP66901.cva

( SP66901 is an Intel(R) Chipset Installation Utility for the HP EliteBook 850 notebooks )

[ReturnCode]
        0:smileyfrustrated:UCCESS:NOREBOOT=The Intel Chipset Utility installed successfully.
        14:smileyfrustrated:UCCESS:NOREBOOT=The Intel Chipset Utility installed successfully.  Reboot Required

In the case of the SoftPaqs that are in your log file, the [ReturnCode} section is not present in the cva file.

SSM's default behavior is to treat any non-zero return code as a failure.

The [ReturnCode] section is not required but builders of SoftPaqs are strongly encouraged to include this for SoftPaqs that are intended to be SSM compliant.

Recomendation-

Run each SoftPaq individually on a single system WITHOUT using SSM to see if the package installs without error or determine what error the installation does return.

When running without SSM, it should install in "loud" mode, which means you should see all messages of what the installation is doing.

SSM appears to be working correctly.  What is needed is to understand why these SoftPaqs are not installing correctly.

With more information, we might be able to assist in helping your installation through the use of SSM.

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.   Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

HP Recommended

I was able to install the following updates without issue.

SP57314

SP56779

SP56421

In regards to the other 2 updates one failed and the other one isn't needed.

SP57262 is not needed

SP56760 failed with the message "File copying was not successful. Setup will exit."

It was trying to copy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\postureAgent\plugins\install\IntelAMTPP.dll"

I've included a screenshot of the error message that displayed during the install.

HP Recommended

The return code "0x1" in the original log file for each deliverable is a common default for applications.

(Assuming Failure (Return code=0x1))

Since several installed when run outside of SSM, I am curious if for some reason they require admin privileges to install.

SSM does not require admin privileges, but since the installation inherits the same privileges as SSM, then perhaps running SSM in an elevated window will allow installation.

In regards to the Intel drivers that failed a copy, you may have to investigate the environment to discover why the copy failed.

Have you run SSM with the /debug flag?

If you do, can you post both the [systemname].ssmtrace file and the [systemname].htm file ?

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.   Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

HP Recommended

Hello Richard,

I've run the task as administrator and again with UAC turned off and still get the same results. I've included the debug log files as requested.

HP Recommended
You are using SSM 2.13.
This version has been replaced multiple times since 2011.

Please update to the newest version.

Check the client management download library.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/download.html

Thanks,

Richard
I work for HP but I am NOT a company spokesman. Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

HP Recommended

Richard that link isn't working.

Just to make you aware, I did not install version 2.13 the version installed on the system is version 3.1.15.1 as shown in the picture attached. The file that was downloaded and installed is SP69536 and there has only been 1 update since that initial install.

HP Recommended
I am currently receiving errors when I try to load the client management website from my phone.

I will try to access it again later.

HP Recommended

OK - I understand a little more.

You installed 3.1.15.1

At some point in the past, 2.13 was installed and is still on the system and somewhere in the path.

The old version of SSM is there - whether installed by someone else or even by a very old version of SDM.

The old SSM version is being run/accessed either through use of a script or through the path environment variable.

The log files ( SYSTEM-05.htm & SYSTEM-05.ssmtrace ) contain the version information.

trace file =

Mon Feb 09 12:01:55 2015: ========== SSM Version: 2.13 A3 (2,13,0,3) Begins Execution ==========
Mon Feb 09 12:01:55 2015: Command-line parameters:/TEMP:C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\SSMEE2C.tmp /SSMFS:\\usge-mdt1\SSMFS

.htm file =

Log file generated on 02/09/15 12:32:46 PM for SYSTEM-05

• SSM Version: 2.13 A3 (2.13.0.3)
  • Parameters: /TEMP:"C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\SSM2C74.tmp" /SSMFS:"\\usge-mdt1\SSMFS" /SSMPATH:"C:\windows\system32" \\usge-mdt1\SSMFS /accept

Trivia / historical information

-------------------------------

Versions of SSM prior to mid-2012 extracted the application and just dropped it into the extracted directory.

Users could, and occasionally would,   end up with multiple versions on their system.

In mid-2012, the developers began "installing" SSM into a standardized directory using an msi installer.

The standard install directory is -

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\SystemSoftwareManager

Although SSM can still be copied or moved by the user if desired, this provides a location to rely on.

If both the SSM.exe and SSM.cab file are copied together, they can be copied to a networked drive ( example - along with the file store ) so that it can be executed from a mapped, network drive. 

I don't remember if it will work with a non-mapped network drive.

Recommendation

--------------------

Run a search and remove all copies of SSM that are not in the

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\SystemSoftwareManager directory.

Then copy the version from this directory - if needed - to any additional shared directories as needed.

Additionally, if you are scripting any of the execution of SSM, you can add the path to the beginning of the command to create an absolute combination of path and command.

example -

.\ssm.exe  c:\ssmfs    /accept   /debug   /noreboot    /log:"c:\ssmfs" 

or

c:\ssmfs\ssm.exe  c:\ssmfs    /accept   /debug   /noreboot    /log:"c:\ssmfs" 

For other forum readers, this example runs only the ssm executable in the current directory so that if any other versions are present in the path, they are not used.

UPDATED -

the following links are working again.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/overview.html

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/download.html

You can find a history of SSM changes at the following link

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_SSM.html

Thanks,

Richard

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.