Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Support Assistant
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP Support Assistant is currently installed on my laptop.   However, at startup Windows Installer is trying to find HP Support Assistant.msi  How do I get rid of this Windows Installer message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was able to resolve the problem.  I removed HP Support Assistant and then rebooted windows several times and then reinstalled HP Support Assistant.  Support Assistant is working fine and I am not getting the installer error.  Problem solved.  Thanks for assistance. ...Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. In order to fix your issue, I'd like to see what is starting along with your Windows.

Download Autoruns (from Microsoft) from this URL => http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Information about the product => http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

- Save the file on your Desktop

- Run Microsoft Autoruns  with Administrator rights (right click -> Run as Administrator).

Agree with the standard license agreement from Microsoft.

- Once Autoruns is started, it will need some seconds (could be a minute) to gather the snapshot, wait for it.

Once it is ready, you will see the word Ready in the lower left side.

• Click on Options

Make sure that only the following are selected:

• Hide Empty Locations
  • Hide Windows Entries

- Click on File -> Refresh to rescan the system.

It will need some seconds (could be a minute) to gather the snapshot, wait for it.

Once it is ready, you will see the word Ready in the lower left side.

- Finally, click on File -> Save

Save the snapshot on the desktop in .arn file format

Please, attach this file in your next post or upload it somewhere and give me URL to download it

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help and the Autoruns program.  I was not able to figure how to attach the file of the Autoruns output.  I tried to insert as an image, but it was too big (1000 limit vs 6000+ for output) to be inserted as image.  I do not have a place to insert the output where you can retrieve it via a URL.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello,

You can use DropBox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive or similar free services. You can also use https://www.wetransfer.com/ (also free). When you are ready, just give me a link. Please, upload it as ARN file (not image or different). Thanks!

If you still cannot upload it, please let me know and do not get discouraged.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I was able to resolve the problem.  I removed HP Support Assistant and then rebooted windows several times and then reinstalled HP Support Assistant.  Support Assistant is working fine and I am not getting the installer error.  Problem solved.  Thanks for assistance. ...Jim

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.