Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The Z800 boot block that supports the 5600 processors is dated 11/10/09.  This is date for BIOS 3.57, and is the same for all Z800 BIOSes since at least 3.05.  I could not find this in the HP documentation either, but I checked this internally at HP.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

So honestly - How can I get a boot block update to run a 56xx CPU on my Z800.

I mean it´s 2014 and must be possible.

If it´s not  why should anyone buy a HP Workstation if the next processor- generation will not be supported. Sounds  ridicilous to me.

HP Recommended

Since no one answered this last question, I will....

Nope, simply not possible.  At least, not possible within the typical realm of minimal intervention.

The BIOS flash ROM on the MB supports permanent protection for regions; HP has employed this functionality to prevent the boot block area from ever being modified.  It's not even possible to connect an I2C tool to this chip to re-flash that region.  It would (theoretically) be possible to de-solder the chip and replace it with a new one flashed (with an external tool) from a V1.02 MB, but that's rather extreme even if you have the tools and skills.

However, I will point out that you can easily get v1.02 MB's on eBay (or the wider web) from a multitude of sellers; these run about $250 or so, and may even include the high performance heatsinks.  This is a drop-in replacement on gen 1 Z800's, tool-free even!  (If the new MB doesn't include the standoffs, you will need to pull those off your old board, which will require a T15 security Torx driver and a 7mm open end wrench.)

No need to flash your boot block, just replace the MoBo.  And BTW, I recommend also picking up the liquid cooling option for the hot procs; that's another $250 or so.

-frank

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.