Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
02-03-2019 12:23 AM
I recently bought a used HP Stream 7 tablet. It had Windows 10, but locked with a password. I contacted the former owner to reset the password, but he never got back to me. So I deleted the partition hoping to reinstall Windows, but since then, I kept getting the error message Boot Device Not Found (3F0) Please install an operating system.
Just to let you know, the hard drive was working fine, because I could start the tablet with Windows 10.
There is no Legacy option in the BIOS. When I start the HDD diagsnostics, it's telling me that hte HDD is not installed/detected.
Any help will be appreciated.
Bless you all.
02-04-2019 09:42 AM - edited 02-05-2019 08:37 AM
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.
The 3f0 error code indicates an issue with the HDD-Hard Drive.
I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:
1) Shutdown the computer.
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.
3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.
4) Plug-in the Adapter.
5) Try to turn on the computer.
Next: Restore BIOS default settings.( Notebook and Pc's )
- Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
- Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
- On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
- Press F10 to Save and Exit.
- Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
- Follow the prompts to restart your computer. (If the error message displays proceed to the next step)
Next: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics
- Plug the AC adapter into the computer.
- Press the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and start pressing Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- When the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics menu displays, click Component Tests.
- In the Component Tests menu, click Hard Drive.
- Click Quick Test.
- Click Run once. If the computer has more than one hard drive, click Test All Hard Drives. The Quick Test begins.
- If the computer has more than one hard drive, select the drive you want to test. To test all the hard drives, select Test All Hard Drives.
When a test is complete, the results display on the screen. Test results are also available in the Test Logs on the main menu.
If the hard drive passes the Quick Test, but a problem still exists with the hard drive, run the Extensive Test. This test includes the SMART Check, Short DST, Optimized DST, and Long DST. To run a specific test, select it from the Hard Drive Tests menu.
Keep me posted for further assistance.
If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
02-05-2019 08:39 AM
Thank you for posting back.
I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps It looks like a hardware related issue with the tablet. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out.
HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
- Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
- Select the product type.
- Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
- Select the country from the drop-down.
- You should see the HP support number or Chat option listed
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.
I am an HP Employee