Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP probook 640 g1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to do a firmware update of the TPM on an HP ProBook 640 G1 (K4L16UT#ABA).

The update asks for the TPM ownership password to proceed because it is not stored on the system.  The password is not available on Windows Build 1803.  I have followed the steps to clear the TPM provided in the HP TPM Firmware Update by:

• changing the registry key to store the TPM password
  • Restart
  • Using the TPM.msc manager to attempt to clear the TPM

Attempting to clear the TPM results in the following error message:

"Physical Presence Cmd Blocked by BIOS.  Error Code #0x80290304"

There seems no option in the BIOS to do anything with the TPM.  I updated to the latest BIOS but it offers no additional options for the TPM.

The TPM seems to be working fine and is reported as ready for action.  It just has the security vulnerability that the FW update is supposed to fix.

How do I clear the TPM?

Edit (Solved)

I created a BIOS Admin User with Password.  This gave me access to hidden TPM settings that I used to clear the TPM through the BIOS on restart.

Resetting the BIOS to Factory Securtiy Settings would probably have achieved the same effect.

You still need to change the registry key for the TPM before you clear it through the BIOS so that the newly generated password is stored in the registry.  Instructions for editing the registry are in the support document with the Firmware Update.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.