Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!
well, i need help :indifferent: I was playing with the buttons of my HP Prime . then, i press Symb(X) then On. Suddenly the screen show the message " HP Prime recovery mode V13."
and I don't know what to do!!!!
I am scared to do something else if i keep pressing buttons. please help me :Crying:

HP Prime recovery mode V13.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are several ways to reset the calculator:

The following does a simple warmstart, recovers keyboard control, restores most of RAM to the state it was in at the last power-down, thus possibly losing changes made in the current session:

• On-Symb key

Or

• Reset hole (back of the unit)

The following clears most of memory, but maintains a few basic things (e.g. calculator name, color theme, language):

• Esc+Apps+On

The following always resets the calculator to factory-new condition:

1. Press and hold down the three keys with the letters C, F, and O (not zero).
  2. While holding them all down, poke a paperclip into the RESET hole in the back.
  3. When the diagnostic screen appears, release the C, F, and O keys.
  4. Press 4, then 3, then Enter.  This will wipe the memory of the calculator to factory-new condition.
  5.  When the blue OK appears, press Esc, then 9.
  6. It usually ends with the initial setup, including swiping the tiny HP logo to the right with your finger, selecting the default language, and/or other stuff, depending on your hardware and firmware versions.

Have you updated the calculator to the latest firmware?

Currently the latest version is 6030. (updates Dec 2014: 6975)

Install the Connectivity Kit from the CD.

Once the connectivity kit is installed, update the calculator.

The following method is recommended:

• Connect your HP Prime calculator via the supplied USB cable (directly connected, do not use a USB hub)
  • Start the HP Connectivity Kit 
  • Click the Calculator tab 
  • Right-click the name of the HP Prime you wish to update (it would be the one you connected before starting this procedure) 
  • Make a note of the version number and then click the OK button 
  • Click on the Help Menu and select Check for update 
  • Check for update pop-up box, check version number that it is newer than the one you wish to update. 
  • Then click download button 
  • That's it, you'll see on the screen of your calculator the update being loaded and installed. Don't click too fast to get out of the HP Connectivity Kit, wait a minute or so after completion. 
  • Also, there is a step in the Connectivity Kit where it is advised to back-up the version you had before you run the procedure, just in case. That way you have a way to re-cover.
-Bart

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are several ways to reset the calculator:

The following does a simple warmstart, recovers keyboard control, restores most of RAM to the state it was in at the last power-down, thus possibly losing changes made in the current session:

• On-Symb key

Or

• Reset hole (back of the unit)

The following clears most of memory, but maintains a few basic things (e.g. calculator name, color theme, language):

• Esc+Apps+On

The following always resets the calculator to factory-new condition:

1. Press and hold down the three keys with the letters C, F, and O (not zero).
  2. While holding them all down, poke a paperclip into the RESET hole in the back.
  3. When the diagnostic screen appears, release the C, F, and O keys.
  4. Press 4, then 3, then Enter.  This will wipe the memory of the calculator to factory-new condition.
  5.  When the blue OK appears, press Esc, then 9.
  6. It usually ends with the initial setup, including swiping the tiny HP logo to the right with your finger, selecting the default language, and/or other stuff, depending on your hardware and firmware versions.

Have you updated the calculator to the latest firmware?

Currently the latest version is 6030. (updates Dec 2014: 6975)

Install the Connectivity Kit from the CD.

Once the connectivity kit is installed, update the calculator.

The following method is recommended:

• Connect your HP Prime calculator via the supplied USB cable (directly connected, do not use a USB hub)
  • Start the HP Connectivity Kit 
  • Click the Calculator tab 
  • Right-click the name of the HP Prime you wish to update (it would be the one you connected before starting this procedure) 
  • Make a note of the version number and then click the OK button 
  • Click on the Help Menu and select Check for update 
  • Check for update pop-up box, check version number that it is newer than the one you wish to update. 
  • Then click download button 
  • That's it, you'll see on the screen of your calculator the update being loaded and installed. Don't click too fast to get out of the HP Connectivity Kit, wait a minute or so after completion. 
  • Also, there is a step in the Connectivity Kit where it is advised to back-up the version you had before you run the procedure, just in case. That way you have a way to re-cover.
-Bart

thank you very much 

the calculator is working normally. I am very grateful :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi   HP PRIME NO SOFTWARE

I was updating the calculator and lost power to pc. Now I cannot reset calculator and connectivity kit does not see calculator nothing shown works

RESET   CFO   shows black screen  and no diagnostic screen

any solution ideas ?

All i can get is X^2+Y^2 =1

after reset

Thanks

Fossil

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please see the following post by Tim Wessman (message 13 of 15 in that thread):

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/HP-Prime-Firmware-Update-Failed-104/m-p/6591786#M14783

-Bart

I found a solution

There is a usb driver on this site

http://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

to make calculator connect use symb key plus reset button on back .

Follow instructions on site , download the driver to calculator and bingo recovered my calculator.

Thanks

educalc

HP Recommended

@Fossil49 wrote:

I found a solution

There is a usb driver on this site

http://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

to make calculator connect use symb key plus reset button on back .

Follow instructions on site , download the driver to calculator and bingo recovered my calculator.

Thanks

educalc

My personal opinion is that "usbtool.exe" should only be used when instructed by HP support. It was never meant for public release.

It has the ability to write to the bootloader. The bootloader is one of the first applications that runs on a device, it does some basic checks and passes control to the main application if that application is determined as not faulty. Should the main application be determined as faulty, the bootloader will enter a recovery mode (or update mode if requested by updating software from a PC).

Incorrect use of the usbtool could, in some cases, lead to an unrecoverable "bricked" device.

If the device is in a recovery mode or stuck on a boot screen, the following are safer options:

• Run the Connectivity Kit, right-click the calculator (if it appears in the list), and select "Update firmware". If it does not appear in the list, use the following method
  • Run the "Updater.exe" program directly from the installation folder of the Connectivity Kit, or
  • Hold down the "backspace" key while booting (you must reset the calc, and be holding the BKSP the entire boot sequence). This bypasses loading data files. If that doesn't work, go into the C F O factory menu, do the 4 FLS option, then format the unit.

If it still doesn't work, please call HP support.

-Bart

I've solved by changing the PC. I've user another laptop for updating and everything was ok.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.