Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MD1000H
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not sure if this was ever setup for use or if the drive has failed.  I plugged into a Lenove Thinkpad running Win10 64 bit and it shows a D drive CD launcher and an E drive that doesn't open.  I've already learned hplauncher.exe won't work with Win10.  

Is this unit even usable for manually backing up or straight copying of files from this laptop or is what it is showing me mean the drive is toast and I had forgotten about it when I found it in my home office yesterday?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JASillasen

Try formatting the E drive and also check for the D drive which mostly will show as empty since it's showing as CD Drive

Also please try the Drive on another computer to confirm it's functionality

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JASillasen

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

You might not be able to use the automatic backup since you are using Windows 10

But it should get detected and be usable for manual backup. 

Have you tried it with different computers? Try reformatting the Drive and check

If the issue persists then its likely to be a faulty drive

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  I would try them but format what?  It shows up as two drives,  a D drive as a CD and an E drive.  Which should be formatted?  Haven't tried it on a different Win10 computer yet but will.  Honestly dont recall if it was ever used on one of my older desktop computers or not. Bought it directly through HPShopping.  I wish I recalled if it ever worked but I'm sorry to say that i don't. 

John

HP Recommended

@JASillasen

Try formatting the E drive and also check for the D drive which mostly will show as empty since it's showing as CD Drive

Also please try the Drive on another computer to confirm it's functionality

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

KrazyToad, I finally had an opportunity to run a power cord to use the Simplesave with a different Windows 10 laptop. First I plugged it in to an external USB 3.0 Active Hub. The drive lit up inside but wasn't recognized as a device of any kind. I was about to report the test failure but before I did, I unplugged the only additional USB port the laptop has that was used only for a chiller.  Plugged in the Simplesave and it showed up the two drives F and G. This laptop has a small SSD boot disk and 1 TB D drive and a 4 TB backup drive. That made the next available drive letters as F CD HP Launcher and E drive. Neither were accessible so referring to your suggestion,  I formatted the G drive as a Quick Format with volume name as HPSimplsav. It formatted successfully with 983 GB. Then I made a new folder successfully and copied the contents of the C drives Documents folders.  It completed successfully as well.

I ejected the drive G which ejected F and said Safe to remove. 

I brought the drive over to the original laptop and plugged it in and it recognized it as D and E again..this time E was accessible and I could open a txt file in the folder I created!

Thank you for your suggestions.  It works. I plan to backup via copy files on. My wife's laptop she has at home for work.  Thanks again for your patience too as I took the time to get power to the drive and perform the tests.

John

HP Recommended

@JASillasen

Thanks for keeping me posted

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.