Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have noticed an issue occur with my laptop multiple times now.  Sometimes when I turn on my laptop, the HP logo will pop up (This part is normal and always does) but then it will be followed by a black screen with a loading wheel that seems to never end.  I have waited around 15 minutes to see if it would go away but had no success.   One time, the loading wheel disapeared and i got a black screen with a gray bar in the top right corner of my screen and control of my mouse.  To resolve this issue in the past, I just turned my computer on and off again (sometimes multiple times) and it seemingly went away.  I have noticed this problem occurs seemingly any time windows is updated.  I have googled to see if others have had this problem but have found nothing.  Is this a common issue and if so, how can it be resolved so that it never occurs again?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Tyler5,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Spectre x360 wherein you get a black screen intermittently.

This issue could occur if the BIOS is not updated.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps listed below to recover the notebook BIOS: 

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Connect the notebook to a power source using the power adapter.

3. Press and hold the Windows key () and the B key at the same time while the computer is off.

4. While still pressing the Windows key and the B key, hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second, and then release the Power button and the keys.

5. The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds. You might hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

You may also check the link: http://hp.care/2rFC3EL

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Thank you for the help. I updated the bios and haven't had the problem since. However, I will keep you updated if the problem happens again.
HP Recommended

Hi @Tyler5,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Please keep the PC under observation and check how it performs.

If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.
Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I would accept it as a solution but I have run into the problem just about 10 minutes ago. I was using my laptop and went to go shut down with the option of update and shut down. I had this problem when updating in the past as it forced me to update and then I got the black screen with the loading wheel. Turning it on and off has not seemed to work this and I am extremely annoyed. I'm leaving home Friday for college and need my computer working. I will try starting it up again in a little bit but this needs to be fixed. The computer was bought in July and shouldn't be having problems like this.
HP Recommended
I could not get past the loading black screen ever. Luckily I was able to get some options to pop up (such as turn off computer, troubleshoot problems, etc.). No matter what I tried, nothing worked so I resorted to resetting the computer. I chose the option reset and keep files. It's currently installing windows now and hopefully I'll be able to use my computer afterwards.
HP Recommended

Hi @Tyler5,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you have initiated a reset on the computer with the option to keep all the files.

I will be waiting for your reply. Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Well the reset went well. I've installed all updates available from both windows and HP and have reinstalled most of the apps deleted. As I said before, I won't accept your solution as a solution as I am unsure if I will run into the problem again. I'll monitor my computer for a week to conclude if my computer is issue free.
HP Recommended

Hi @Tyler5,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you will monitor the computer for a week to confirm if the issue has resolved.

I will be waiting to hear from you if the issue has resolved or not.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Well I ran into the issue again and can't get past the screen. I got the recovery screen to pop up but I don't know what to do anymore. I'm extremely frustrated as I need to use my computer for school work.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.