Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 7
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I'm trying to update my HP Stream 7 to Windows 10, April 2018 Update (1803). It downloads the update, starts installing, but halfway through hits a snag and rolls back to the old build, 1703. Anybody else had this or know of a way to get 1803 installed?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@pwillies

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, Windows 10 (1803) fails on your HP Notebook,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: https://hp.care/2aSlUnS

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

What was the original operating system installed on your PC?

Is it Automatic Update or Manual Updates?

Let's try these steps:

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt (Press the Windows + X button at the same time, then choose Command Prompt (Admin))

2. Type the following command, and replace the X with the drive letter you wish to scan: “CHKDSK X:”, we suggest you use “CHKDSK X: /C”, only then it can correct errors. Let's check C drive. 

3. Hit the enter key, Command Prompt will now start CHKDSK.

NOTE: This issue could have been caused due to low disk space and to help you with that, I have listed few more steps below:

Disable Hibernation:

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 
  • Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

Also, you could save your personal data on an external hard drive to create more space. 

Here is an article to help you with clearing the disk space: https://hp.care/2u8XjDs.

Let me know how this goes,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Flower_Bud,

Thanks for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply. Here are some answers:

Model number: HP Stream 7 Tablet 5709. Updates are set to automatic.

Ran chkdsk C: /C: Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

Disk Cleanup: Ran the disk cleanup tool. Cleaned up about 224 MB of space.

Disable Hibernate:  Done.

Note that I have done several Factory Resets, so the device currently just has the OS installed on it and pretty much nothing else. There is no personal data on the machine at all. Currently the device reports 16.0 GB free of 28.3 GB.

So - wondering if you have anything else for me to try? I'm going to try the update one more time, but I expect it will fail because I don' t think the changes I made today made a big difference.

Thanks!

Paul

HP Recommended

@

Just to confirm that I tried the 1803 Update again, and it failed as before. It got to about 20%, and then rebooted with the message: "Restoring your previous version of Windows." Now I'm back to 1703.

Looking forward to the next steps.

HP Recommended

@pwillies

Thank you for our reply. 

As @Flower_Bud is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

During my research, I found that following are the reasons due to which the 1803 update might fail:

• If the computer/device has less than 10 GB of space. But your HP Stream 7 has 16 GB of free space. So this condition is ruled out.
  • In addition to the 10 GB of free space on the device, an external USB drive may be required to complete a Windows update. If you receive a message stating "Windows needs more space", you may also be prompted to connect an external storage. 
  • Also, the upgrade will also fail if downloaded manually from Microsoft site. Microsoft is rolling out this update is phases, so this could a reason why the update is failing. I suggest you to wait until this update is automatically released by Microsoft on your device. 

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @MKazi,

Thank you for this additional research. 

As you say, option 1 is ruled out.

Option 2 - there is no prompt to attach storage.

Option 3 - I am getting the update from Windows Update. So Microsoft is offering it for my device. So that is ruled out.

Do you think there are other solutions to help me upgrade?

Thanks,

Paul

HP Recommended

@pwillies

You're welcome.

You may create a new user account in Windows and then try to perform the update in the new user account. Please check if that helps;.

The steps mentioned in "Creating a new account" should help from this HP document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04648962

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I had this same issue; the version update process would appear to work, but would roll back after the first restart. Except my W10 version was 1607 lol.

Here's how I finally got my Stream 7 upgraded to 1809 (after first upgrading to 1803).

To begin, I realized (after reading a lot of tech threads on the issue) that the primary problem facing Stream 7 users was not having enough primary drive disk space. And that merely cleaning up your drive and data and removing the hibernate file, etc., was insufficient (in most cases, and certainly in mine) to complete a W10 version upgrade.

So I bit the bullet, created a new local admin account, and removed all other accounts. I also uninstalled everything not core to W10. Note: This is as close to a clean install as you can get without actually doing one lol.

Now comes the solution bit. I'm not going to do a step-by-step here, so if you don't know what some of this stuff is – particularly the ins-and-outs of DiskPart – either Google'em, or buy your best tech-buddy a beer and have him/her read this and do it for you.

I opened a command prompt in admin mode (I.e., "elevated mode"), and started DiskPart. I listed the disks "list disk", and selected the boot disk "select disk 0" (in my case this was necessary because I had a microSD in the Stream 7). I listed the partitions "list partition", and made note of the two recovery  partitions. I selected  a recovery partition "select partition 5" (again, this was my Stream at about 6GB, so YMMV), and removed it "delete partition". I then selected the next recovery partition and removed it (it was partition 4 at about 450MB in my case).

I then selected the main boot partition (in my case this was partition 3, at about 20GB) and extended the partition "extend partition" (which increased the boot partition by the 6.5GB of the two partitions I'd just removed).

And exited DiskPart, closed the elevated command prompt, and restarted the Stream 7.

Upon restart, i used the W10 Update Assistant to manually upgrade 1607 to 1803 without issue. (This took a long time; the Stream 7 isn't exactly a speed demon lol.) 

After that upgrade, I used Disk Cleanup --> System to remove old Shadow copies and the old Windows version (1607), and used the Update Assistant to upgrade to 1809 (which was without issue too).

I restarted again, and used Disk Cleanup again to remove the new "old" Windows version, 1803.

And done.

I ended the upgrade process with about 20GB of free space, and the ability (included in1803-on) to install new apps, and all user data, on the microSD card.

...I created this HP Support Community profile specifically to post this solution to a common problem with the Stream 7.

HP Recommended

I have been trying to update to the 1803 Release for about 18 months.  My current version is 1703.  I have tried all of the fixes and recommendations.  None of them worked.  Then I saw an article about how you can now bypass a missed Windows 10 major update and go to the next release.  So here is what I did:

Hide the Windows 1803 update

Download and run Microcroft Update Trouble-shooter.  It fixed several problems.  BTW - I had ran the trouble-shooter several times in the past.

Download and run the Microsoft Update Advisor.  I save the file to my hard drive and ran it from there.  It updated to Windows 10 version 1809 without any problems.  I then did a disk cleanup and got back to about 12 GB of consumed space on drive C:.

So the HP Stream 7 can be upgraded to the lastest Windows 10 release.  Not sure what will happen for next month's major release.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.