Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP G 62 - 339wm Laptop. I am unable to disable the mousepad using the instructions in the manual - or by finding the device thing in properties that is on HP's support page. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Greetings Professor, and many thanks for all this great effort.

I purchased my Touchpad (32 GB) around the end of July from someone, but it was never used, so it was still like new.

The more I used it, the moreI loved it.

All updates (to the webOS) and additional apps went nice & smooth.

A couple of weeks ago, and after it was not used for several days (without a full shutdown, and it was not hooked to the charger), I tried to use it.

A large AC cord icon flashed on the screen, so I knew it needed the charger.

I plugged the charger, and the base button was flashing left & right, as it is supposed to (my understanding).

Shortly after, it stopped flashing, and the battery was not charging (I don't recall what buttons I touched after I plugged it in).

I have not been able to turn it on since, or to recharge the battery (my charger is the cylinderical-shaped charger).

Then I tried a couple of equivallent USB chargers (smartphone chargers type, 1000 mA, nothing with over-voltage and such), and tried connecting to a couple of my PCs (directly to the USB ports), but no charging still. The bottom of the tablet never even warms up.

All charger were tested and found to be good.

I have read all the remedy answers here (and on other sites, which are similar), and I tried every single trick mentioned in the forum to no avail.

When I plug the tablet to either PC (one is Win 7 Ultimate, and one is XP Pro, SP3) nothing happens, the machines don't sense it.

However, the machines will sound (the normal bong when a USB device is plugged in) IFF I press and hold the volume down (yes down) button, then plug the USB cable.

So the machines do sense it that way, but it won't appear on the list of My Computer (as it used to, when it was working).

I have done the volume up, the 3-button, ..., etc., and for at least 30, 45, 60, and 90 seconds with no response.

I'm sure the tablet is fine, but something is not allowing the battery to charge.

I do not know if webosdoctor would solve this issue, keeping in mind that it doesn't turn on.

If you have no solution, can you at least direct me to a reputable place for repair?

I have quite a bit of personal stuff on it (and various accounts), so security and privacy are of great concern.

Thank you very much.

Sam

HP Recommended

Sorry Sam, I know of no one offering repairs.

Here's my standard "Dead TouchPad" reply:

There are several other threads already discussing this topic, but they all say the same things:

--Check your charger.  Many of the USB cables supplied by HP were fragile, and break easily.  Try another micro-USB cable with a charger that supplies 2 amps (2,000mA).  If using an HP charger, check the prongs on the transformer - they are removable, and if twisted out of position no current will flow.

--Try all the resets - simple (hold both the power and center button for 15 - 20 seconds until the HP logo appears).   Advanced (press and hold the power, center, and volume down together until logo appears.  May give the option to completely erase the unit!)

--Use a TouchStone to charge the device if you suspect the female charging port on the TouchPad has been damaged.  

--As a last resort, try using the tpdebrick-v004 program.  This is a difficult, but doable re-flash of the device using a computer running Ubuntu, and a program from this link.  

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/38786-tpdebrick-v004/

I revived one of my touchpads using this method.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks professor!

One thing you didn't say anything about is the webosdoctor question. I would appreciate an answer to that part, if you know.

I actually had done what you mentioned (various USB cables (3 of them), chargers, the power supply prongs twist, etc.), and I'm aware of the 2000 mA capability of the charger.

I'm electrical engineer, with plenty of test equipment, and every item I used tested fine, and worked well with other devices (and worked well with the tablet prior to this issue, so it's not likely all these items failed all of a sudden).

I'm a very long-term DOS and windows guy, since the early 1980s, with no experience in the Linux OS area, but willing to take a look at it & try to learn and use the recommended program.

Thanks again.

Sam

HP Recommended

tpdebrick seems like your only option.

It involves using a boot disk into linux (no permanent OS installation to your computer, unless desired), then a few command-line instructions after downloading two files.

Desktop GUI is included on the boot disk, with all the programs necessary.  Kind of a fun project actually!  🙂

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

Thank you once more.

HP Recommended

Hello again boss ..

I finally got some time to deal with the bricked TouchPad (a couple of nights ago).

Went through Ubuntu install (on a thumbdrive), and the rest of the preparations.

tpdebrick worked well, and nothing beyond that was needed.

None of my personal data (music, pictures, downloads, videos, etc.) was missing.

My next adventure is JCSullin's 10.x ... 🙂 .. and then a donation to JCS.

Just thought of giving you some feedback since you are a very kind and helpful person.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear of your success, Sam!

We love happy endings here...  🙂

WyreNut

HP Recommended
Thanks. Just finished installing the latest JCS's A droid release.
All went very well.
Now the TP is a keeper!!!
HP Recommended
Forgive my typo, it's past 1:30 am
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.