Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp v236w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Brand New hp v236w 8GB pendrive is not recognized on my windows 10 pc, how can I solve this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @Fiddes,

Have you tried plugging the USB device into different USB ports?

Have you tried checking different USB devices? Does the issue persist?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Step 1:
Open RUN (Windows Logo + R) and type “devmgmt.msc” and click OK.
Step 2:
Now expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Step 3:
Attach your device which is not recognized.
Step 4:
You will see an Unknown USB device (Port reset failed) with a yellow sign in Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Step 5:
Now right-click on it and click Uninstall to remove them.

If the above steps do not fix the problem, please try the steps mentioned below.

Open Device Manager (Right Click on Windows Logo and Click Device Manager).
Now find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Now right click on USB drivers and click Uninstall. Do for all USB drivers one by one.
Now Restart your PC. The USB drivers are automatically re-install and solve the corrupted USB devices.
Right-click on the battery icon and click Power Options.
Click Change plan settings.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Find and expand USB settings.
Expand USB selective suspend settings and Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

DiskPart Command Prompt Utility

Hit Windows Key + X, and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. Type diskpart, and press Enter

Next, type list disk, and press Enter.

Next, type select disk [your disk number]

Once selected, enter the following command:

attributes disk clear readonly

Into the Registry We Go

If none of the previous steps have solved your Write Protection error, don’t worry. We’ve still got a few more tricks in the book. Next, we’re going to edit the Windows Registry. If you’re not comfortable editing the registry, I understand. You can skip to the next section — formatting your USB drive. If that step is a little too drastic, I’d advise giving this option a try.

Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue. Type regedit and press Enter. Now, navigate to the following registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
Look for a key named WriteProtect.

If it exists, double-click it. This will open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value box. You can now set one of two values: 0 or 1. 1 means “Yes, write protect my USB storage devices.” Conversely, 0 means “No, don’t write protect my USB storage devices.” Set the value to 0, and then press OK.

Let me know if this helps!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! .@A4Apollo,

I have tried everything, and now the pendrive is showing up in the file exproler, but when I try to add anything into the drive a massage is saying 'item not found, it is no longer located in the pc. That I should verify the item's location and try again' . And in addition to that, when I go to drive properties it does not  show the disk capacity. 

HP Recommended

Hi! @Fiddes,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right click in the folder with USB Flash drive contents. Choose Open Command window here from the right-click menu.
Command Prompt will open on your screen. Now type the following command and press Enter:

attrib -r -s -h /s /d

Note: Copy the command very cautiously. A slight difference in the letters or special characters can cause more trouble.

After running the command, close Command Prompt.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Open This PC, right click on your flash drive and select Format from the menu.

Select Fat32 (Default) as File System and Quick Format as Format Option from the menu and click on Start.

Wait while Windows formats your flash drive.

Let me know if this works!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! .@A4Apollo,

The problem is still not solved, I tried all the steps you gave me, but they haven't solved the problem. I tried to format the drive but the formatting window is not showing up.

when I plug in the drive on the pc  first it shows that there is a problem with the drive and when I click on it to fix it, a massage comes up saying windows can not access the drive, 

also in the drive there is a movie, but on the pc it shows that there is nothing in the drive and the size of the drive is not shown, when I click on the drive to view it's content it shows nothing, but when I plug it on tv am able to see the movie.but the other files that were added the time this problem started am not able to play them on tv but I can see the files on tv.
HP Recommended

@Fiddes

Thank you for the response.

Have you tried connecting any different USB/Flash drivers to your PC and check if that works?

Also, let us run a test on the USB port to check if the hardware part is working fine as the Flash drive is detected/working on your TV.

1. Shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)
  2. Power the computer back on.
  3. As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin tapping the Esc before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu
  4.  Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform Component Test >> USB port

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! .@Kumar0307,

Other USB devices are working in all usb ports.,

And the USB port tests passed.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Fiddes,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Try formatting the USB drive using the following steps and check if it helps.

Search for the command prompt on the Start Menu or just type cmd. Right-click the command prompt icon and select “Run as Administrator.”

Once the command prompt opens up, type in the following command:

diskpart

Next, type the following command to view the active drives on your machine:

list disk

It will also show you the disk numbers and storage parameters for all active drives.

Use the select command to choose your USB drive. In this case I entered select disk 1 because my USB drive is disk number 1 as seen in the previous step. Make sure you don’t select your internal hard drive or you could destroy your system.

Next, type in the following command:

clean

Next, type in the following command:

create partition primary
active

Now it’s time to format your drive. All you need to do is enter the following command:

format fs=ntfs label="insert name of drive here" quick

If you want to use FAT32 or exFAT, simply replace “ntfs” with either of the two formats in the command. And don’t forget to change the name of the drive.

Lastly, enter the following command:

assign
Then exit the command prompt.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! .@A4Apollo,

The disk size that is showing up in command prompt is 0bytes. And I could not create a partition because it says there is no enough space to create a partition on the selected disk. When I did the "clean" command it brought me a massage saying there are no files on the disk so It didn't work, and the formatting didn't work either.the disk size keep showing 0bytes.

HP Recommended

@Fiddes,

Thanks for the update. 

It certainly sounds like an issue with the USB flash drive. Please replace the faulty flash drive.

If the flash drive is still under warranty, I will share you the support details through a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.