Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Prime

On the HP Prime (firmware version 2016 12 08 (11226)) the binomial_cdf function gives incorrect results for values close to zero.

Steps to reproduce : In the HOME screen, type

BINOMIAL_CDF(100,0.5,1)*10^12

Observed result : 1

Expected result : 7.967*10^-17

Details : BINOMIAL_CDF seems to be rounded up to 10^-12 when it's below 10^-12, except for a number of successes k=0

This bug seems to affect the HP 39gII too.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Thank you for finding this subtle issue! It was actually in the very extremes of the incomplete beta function. This was later used to implement binomial_cdf and created the problem in these rare cases.

In the meantime, you can use "binomial_cdf" in the CAS screen and you will get the correct result. Thanks again!

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply.

The CAS system is not exact either, maybe because it is based on too large fractions.

exact(BINOMIAL_CDF(100,1/2,21)) returns 1/461041954.

I'm not sure this is exact. 1/461041954 equals to 2.16900000e-9 while the R statistical software finds 2.168683e-09 in two different ways (sum of probability mass function and cumulative distribution function).

Anyway, I would expect a huge fraction with the exact binomial distribution.

Are fractions based on floating point numerator and denominators ? Rounding errors may be worse than in the non-CAS mode.

Secondly, for n=100 and k<=20, it's always equal to zero:

exact(BINOMIAL_CDF(100,1/2,20)) returns 0

HP Recommended

Using the command exact is not the way to do CAS calculations.

You will have to press the CAS key in order to get into CAS environment.

When I repeat the calculations you did I get a result in the form of a fraction with a huge numerator and denominator.

The result can be converted into a numerical number by pressing  Shift -Enter, which gives the result you expected.

As a check I subtracted 

BINOMIAL_CDF(100,1/2,21) - BINOMIAL_CDF(100,1/2,20)

which should give BINOMIAL(100,1/2,21), and it does.

So very probably the result is exact.

HP Recommended

Direct check:

2017-10-06 09.58.42.jpg

HP Recommended

It works, indeed.

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.