Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14-cf0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my hp laptop just started to continually mute and unmute. At first, it started out just muting a few things every once and a while. I went to Sound Mixer Options and it would mute and unmute by itself. That was about a week ago. Then now the whole laptop started muting and unmuting. It's only the mute button repeating, and I have tried to use a different keyboard. It mutes with AND without headphones/earbuds. The little light that tells you if its muted or not flashes on and off as it mutes and unmutes. At first, it was so little I could just overlook it. Now it happens to everything. Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@GalaxyBandit Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing the issue with audio mute and unmutes automatically.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a software or Windows update?
  • Did you run diagnostics on Audio?

For now, try these steps:

• Please run diagnostics on the computer’s hardware to ensure that the audio module is not faulty. Follow steps from this link: http://hp.care/2uoegKc and run the component tests on audio and video.

If diagnostics pass, then try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and create a new local user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC
  • Again restart the computer and log in to the new user account.

Also, refer to the following link to troubleshoot the issue.

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.