Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion TS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

After the latest Windows 10 update I find the on screen keyboard options don't appear as they used to.

Prior to the upgrade there was a keyboard icon in the taskbar that I could touch to bring the keyboard up immediately. This was especially useful as I have a U.S keyboard but the on screen keyboard was set to UK 102 so I could input characters like #

I know I can activate an on screen keyboard using the Ease of Access options but that doesn't have the same 'feel' and its clunky on the login screen as it appears right where the password box is, annoying to say the least.

I don't want to back out the updates as the Android link to my mobile phone is useful

The following updates installed yesterday:

KB4051963

KB4055237

KB4054022

Any help really appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Brendon1970

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that the onscreen keyboard disappeared after the latest Win10 update. 

To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:

• Please let me know the exact computer model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Was it a third party keyboard software that was present?

Meanwhile, I did some research on this and also looked around the Microsoft website There is talk about only the onscreen keyboard that can be enabled from the ease of access:

Go to Start , then select Settings > Ease of Access Keyboard, and then move the slider under On-Screen Keyboard. A keyboard appears on the screen that can be used to move around the screen and enter text. The keyboard will remain on the screen until you close it.

With the OSK (Onscreen Keyboard) open, select the Options key, and then choose the options you want:

• Use click sound. Use this option if you want to hear a sound when you press a key.
    • Show keys to make it easier to move around the screen. Use this option if you want the keys to light up as you type.
    • Turn on numeric keypad. Use this option to expand the OSK to show a numeric keypad.
    • Click on keys. Use this mode if you prefer to click or tap the on-screen keys to enter text.
    • Hover over keys. Use this mode if you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key. The characters you point to are entered automatically when you point to them for a specified time.
    • Scan through keys. Use this mode if you want the OSK to continually scan the keyboard. Scan mode highlights areas where you can type keyboard characters by pressing a keyboard shortcut, using a switch input device, or using a device that simulates a mouse click.
    • Use Text Prediction. Use this option if you want the OSK to suggest words for you as you type so you don't need to type each complete word.

I hope this helps. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Mkazi,

My computer model is a HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook PC and the keyboard is part of the standard build, it was present when I bought it from new.

I've taken a photo of the login screen where it appears for a few seconds and is then replaced with the Ease of Access keyboard but the file size even on the lowest setting to upload here.

HP Recommended

@Brendon1970

Thank you for your reply.

Are you saying that the old keyboard appears for a short time and then it is replaced by the HP ease of access keyboard?

You could attach the photo you have taken through the HP forums reply page. Please see below image.

Let me know if you're unable to attach the photo with your reply. 

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hi Mkazi,

Yes, exactly that, the original keyboard appears  when entering the password and then is replaced by the Ease of Access keyboard. 

Slight typo in my earlier reply, I have a photo but it's too large even on the when taken with the lowest photo setting to upload into the forum.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Brendon1970, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below to solve onscreen keyboard issues.

Tap on “Start” button at the extreme lower left of your tablet.
Tap on “Settings” which will spread out the application.
Tap on “System” block at the settings.
Tap on “Tablet mode” in the left flank.
Move to the right flank and drag the slider toward “On”, just underneath the statement “Make Windows more touch-friendly when using your device as a tablet”.

Access “Registry editor” using your favorable method. You can write “regedit” in Cortana search and tap the same in the search result at the top.
Follow the below-written path –
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling

Go to the right flank of the editor, look for “MonitorSize”, double click on it and ensure its value data is 22.5. If it is not then write 22.5 and tap on OK.

Pin On-screen Keyboard to Taskbar or Start

When you are in front of a tablet and hitting on Touch keyboard icon located on Taskbar puts nothing impact, you have the choice to pin on screen keyboard to taskbar Windows 10 or Start.

Open “Run” dialog box using the method you think comfortable. Although doing a right click on ‘Start” icon and selecting “Run” on power user menu is the most convenient way for a tablet user.
Copy the below given default shortcut path, paste in the given space in the run box and hit OK.
C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe

Look for OSK icon in the System32 folder, perform a right-click on it and select “Pin to start”.

After it is appearing on Start, make right click on it and select “More” followed with “Pin to taskbar”.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot,

If I set the laptop into tablet mode theTouch keyboard shows in the taskbar but disappears when taken out of tablet mode it disappears. I tried to follow your instructions and this option does not appear.

"Move to the right flank and drag the slider toward “On”, just underneath the statement “Make Windows more touch-friendly when using your device as a tablet”."

Monitor size does not appear at the registry address given so no adjustment made here.

Also, following the instructions to pin the keyboard to the taskbar etc, it tries to pin the Ease of Access on screen keyboard which is not what I want.

Thanks so far for your efforts to resolve this issue.

HP Recommended

@Brendon1970

Hi,

glad t have you back. You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

You could attempt a Microsoft Push Button Reset. This repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

This might help. Let us know. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended
If you right click your taskbar, you can check the choice to display the keyboard icon.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.