Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Surface pro 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use the palm desktop on several machines, although I no longer use a handheld device running it.   I opened the desktop this morning and there was an error message stating "some components required for playing and editing video clips are not installed.  Please install WMP/DirectX and Apple QuickTime from Web."    I never use video clips and have never seen this message before.  After I clicked OK, the desktop came up, but all that was available was the media and install buttons.   There was no way to access my memos or contacts.    Does anyone have any idea how to get back the full desktop.   The program requires me to enter my password to get to the error message.    However, once I click the OK, I can't get to any of my data.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide..

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Try right-clicking in the empty space beneath the buttons, then click on Customize.  It will bring up a window with all of the buttons, where you can select the buttons you would like to see.

If that doesn't help, I dunno.  Try reinstalling Palm Desktop.

_____
Former HP Expert (Palm/webOS)
HP Recommended

Try right-clicking in the empty space beneath the buttons, then click on Customize.  It will bring up a window with all of the buttons, where you can select the buttons you would like to see.

Also, see this thread (found using the Search function).

_____
Former HP Expert (Palm/webOS)
HP Recommended

I did that, but it only listed the two buttons which are already there.   This happened to me once before a long time ago, and I think I ended up having to reinstall the program.   It's annoying, because I have no idea what is causing it.   The only reason I continue to use this software is that it allows me to selectively hide specific memos, such as the one with all of the social security numbers of the family members and other sensitive information.  I don't know any other software which does this, but I sure hope I can find a replacement for the palm desktop.

Any other possible solutions?

I think my data is still intact in the folder with my initials, but I can't get to it.

HP Recommended

That thread was actually my post from a couple of years ago when it happened then.  I was able to use the program by running as administrator, and all of my data was there.   I tried this again since the problem as reoccurred, and I am still able to get to my data.   What I don't understand is why this may be happening.   I am getting the exact same error message as last time and the same inability to visualize my data, unless I run as administrator.   It's a little bit of a hassle, but I questions whether going through having to uninstall and reinstall is worth it since there's a fair chance this will just keep happening.

HP Recommended

@baltovet wrote:

I did that, but it only listed the two buttons which are already there.   This happened to me once before a long time ago, and I think I ended up having to reinstall the program.   It's annoying, because I have no idea what is causing it.   The only reason I continue to use this software is that it allows me to selectively hide specific memos, such as the one with all of the social security numbers of the family members and other sensitive information.  I don't know any other software which does this, but I sure hope I can find a replacement for the palm desktop.

Any other possible solutions?

I think my data is still intact in the folder with my initials, but I can't get to it.

Baltovet,

I use Lastpass Secure Notes to replace my Palm Desktop secret memos.

It is free. I use it on my PC and Android phone.

If you make changes they are synced on both.

You need to be online to see your notes on a PC.

I  can view my Lastpass Notes Offline on my Smartphone.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.