Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8-1400 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I put in an sanDisk Ultra PLUS 32GB SD card in the reader built into my desktop H8-1455PC but my desktop will not see it.  When I put the same card in my HP photosmart C7280 All-in-One printer, I can see the photo files.  I tried a smaller SD card in my HP desktop and the HP desktop wouldn't see it either.  Why won't the SD card reader work?  The error message says that I have to format the SD card but if I do that I'll lose my photos.  Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @jackbe1, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues getting the SD card detected on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with different SD cards?

As you mentioned you have issues getting the SD card detected on your PC.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Plug in your SD card and launch command prompt which you can find by searching cmd.exe in the start menu. Now In Command prompt, you have to type the following with enter after every command.

1. diskpart
 2. list disk
 3. select disk x (where x is the number of your SD card – use the capacity to work out which one it is)
 4. attributes disk clear readonly
 5. clean
 6. create partition primary
 7. format fs=fat32 (you can swap fat32 for ntfs if you only need to use the drive with Windows computers)
 8. exit

In Start menu search for “REGEDIT” and open the >Registry Editor<
Navigate to the following key:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies”
On the right-hand pane of the REGEDIT you’ll find Write protection, double-click on it and change its value between 1 to 10 and close the REGEDIT
Restart your pc and plug your SD card back in and you’ll no more find the write protection on it

Removal Of Write-Protection Of SD Card Using Diskpart

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.