Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laptop - 378EHGAP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Posting this for anyone who may have a similar situation:

Sleep mode stopped working and I discovered by accident why - I use a AC1200 Inamax 5GH adaptor because this laptop does not come with the circuitry/capability for 5GH.  Up until yesterday I was leaving the adaptor plugged in to the laptop and having the laptop take approx. 2 minutes to boot up every time I hit the power button which is configured to put the laptop to sleep.  Started to work on some file management on two external disk drives and I unplugged the Inamax adaptor to use the USB port for one of the disk drives.  After some time, I stopped, left, and came back a few hours and pressed the power button, expecting the laptop to take the usual 2 minutes to boot up and was surprised to find sleep mode worked - the laptop waking up to where I had left off.  I then experimented with the Inamax adaptor and determined it has been the culprit all along, preventing sleep mode from working.  Previously, I researched the sleep mode problem and tried a variety of actions to remedy the problem without success.  And at this point, I don't know why the Inamax AC1200 is causing the problem and/or if there is a fix/setting for it to allow the adaptor to remain plugged in to the laptop and still have sleep mode work.  But for now, I'll live with using the laptop's 2.4GH capability, or if need be,  plug in the Inamax adaptor and wait the 15-20 seconds for the connection to happen versus leaving the Inamax plugged in and waiting 2 minutes for the laptop to boot up.    

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This is an update to my earlier post - by way of trail and error (and maybe just a little dumb luck), I discovered I can get sleep mode to work if I take the following actions/steps:

1.  Remove the Inamax from the laptop and shut off the laptop.

2.  Power off/shut down the laptop.

3.  Wait a few seconds (I count to 30) and then power the laptop back up.

4.  Wait for all apps to load - about 1-2 minutes.

5.  Re-insert the Inamax and check on the Wi-fi status by mousing over the wifi icon in  the lower right corner of the screen.

6.  After about 2-3 minutes (at least that how long it takes for my setup) the 5G will be the only one showing.

7.  Hit the power button and within 10-12 seconds the laptop shuts off.  

8.  I then wait about 10 seconds and hit any key and the laptop wakes back up from sleep mode.

Not sure of the "WHY" this works, but it does

By the way - the power button is set to make the laptop go to sleep mode when it is pressed/depressed). 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.