Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 8 GB 128
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been playing Spider, Freecell and Minesweeper since I bought the laptop 3 months ago practically every day. Today I cannot open them. I can open other games but not these three. Very strange. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @levon1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that Windows games are not working.

I’d love to help!

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Let’s first try opening the game(s) from the source folder (Program Files) and check what happens.

Navigate to the following location on your hard disk:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games

If the issue persists, disable and enable the games using the “Turn Windows features on or off” feature and check.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no folder under program files that is called microsoft games. I tried to locate it by searching but couldn't find it. 

I went to Settings and under apps I found the microsoft solitaire collection program and under advanced options reset it. I restarted the PC but again no joy. 

When selected the screen says "Loading" but it stays there forever. 

There have been no software updates or hardware changes.

Kind Regards

Levon1

HP Recommended

Hi @levon1,

I recommend you install the games again from Microsoft store and check.

Here is how it is done.

1. Using your Microsoft account, sign in to the PC where you want to install your games.
  2. On the Start screen, select the Store icon.
  3. In the Store, select Games from the menu.
  4. Browse to and select the game you want to install.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I uninstalled the app. Now when I go back to the store it tells me that I have already loaded down the app and it needs installing. When I select install nothing happens. 

I also did a search to see if I could find the app on the C drive. The search produced no result.

I also when to the Microsoft forum to see if I could get help from them. They want £36 to look at the problem. As it is a free game package I refused.

I am going off windows 10. One seems to have lost control.

Kind Regards

Levon

HP Recommended

Hi @levon1,

I recommend you perform a refresh on your computer and check if it helps.

Follow the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am a bit reluctant to do a reset as you suggest as all the applications besides the Microsoft Playstore applications are working. 

The problem seems to be related with the Microsoft Playstore and the XBox. I managed to get it going a few days ago but then there was a big Microsoft update after which it stopped working. I am not impressed with windows 10. I am also very angry with Microsoft for asking £366fpr a problem which is due to their system.

Thank you for your help if you have any further suggestions please  let me know.  

Kind regards

Levon1

HP Recommended

Hi @levon1,

I would like to inform you that when you do a refresh all your programs and the data will be intact. 

Please go ahead and perform the refresh and let me know how it goes.

Looking forward to your reply.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It turns out that Microsoft were having problems with their preinstalled software regarding their Playstore and the Microsoft Solitaire collection probably something to do with permissions.They have now admitted to it and in fact yesterday the problems were solved. 

Thank you for your help and have a Merry Christmas or holiday depending on your beliefs.

Kind Regards

Levon

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.