Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I recently updated to Windows 10. After turning on my laptop a notice comes up saying ‘Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’ll restart for you’  Stop Code: Critical Process Died. It attempts to restart and opens an ‘Automatic Repair’ page where it says ‘Your PC did not start correctly’ I have 2 options, Restart or Advanced Options. When I click ‘restart’ it begins this cycle again. I have attempted turning it off and on whilst pressing F11, selecting the language and the keyboard setting then ‘Trouble shoot - Refresh your PC - Windows 10’ However this comes up with a message saying ‘There was a problem with refreshing your PC. No changes were made.’ I have attempted resetting it also however it says ‘Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.’  
At this point I don’t mind losing my data and files but I can’t even log in as it is stuck in this loop. Any help would be much appreciated! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you upgraded your PC to W10 from an older operating system, you can clean install W10 as follows...

With another working Windows PC, make a bootable W10 installation flash drive using the media creation tool at the link below.

Unless your PC is very old, it probably is running a 64 bit operating system, so make the 64 bit installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

If you want to try and recover any files, when you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' install it over the current Windows installation, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and paste any folders and files you want to your new Windows profile.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.