Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I got the 16GB Touchpad few days ago and since i got the one with an american charger i cant charge it yet (till i get the traveler kit).

My actual problem is that it doesn't charge through the USB port. I left it for like 24-30 hours charging through the USB port (with the cable that came with the touchpad) and when i try to turn it on, it shows me an icon of an empty battery.

Is my usb cable problematic or it just that the touchpad cant charge through the usb port from a PC?

ps: every time i plug the usb it get a message telling "to reliably charge please use the charger and cable that came with this device"

Post relates to: HP TouchPad (WiFi)

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The message is correct.  The TouchPad won't charge from a standard USB port.  You will need to use the charger/cable that came with it (once you get your adapter).

HP Recommended

What kind of cable? This was the only cable in the box or did you mean i have to use the charger plugged into the cable to charge it after i get my adapter?

thank you for your time

HP Recommended

Yes, the TouchPad may only be charged using the wall charger (or the TouchStone).  It will not charge from a USB outlet on your computer.

_____
Former HP Expert (Palm/webOS)
HP Recommended

I have charged mine using the USB cable which came with the TP and just had it plugged in to the laptop USB port.

HP Recommended

was the touchpad running or was it turned off?

HP Recommended

I believe it is in sleep mode but not totally shutdown.

HP Recommended

TP will charge either way thru the USB cable + included plug  or USB cable with laptop,desktop. However, the latter will be very very slow and  you have to disable USB ports ' power saving on your desktop/laptop.

HP Recommended

What you said goes along with what I am saying and that is that some USB ports have power and others do not. I have an external 2.5" hard drive enclosure that uses the power from a USB port and I generally have to hunt around on the PC/Laptop to find a USB port that will power it.

HP Recommended
ps: every time i plug the usb it get a message telling "to reliably charge please use the charger and cable that came with this device"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.