Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new hp spectre 13 x360 and the  stock synaptics touchpad driver it comes with is very annoying. When I do a two finger scroll and lift one finger, the touchpad continues scrolling the page until I lift my second finger and only then will it begin to navigate normally again. Because of this annoying and untoggleable setting, I downloaded a windows precision driver file from windows central which worked great for about a month until one day my mouse had dissappeared inexplicably. I've since installed HP's driver from the HP website and continued to run into problems like the mouse not being there when I boot it up. Finally I have a working mouse again but I'm not sure if it will stay. Ideally, I'd like to get my windows precision drivers to work again because they resolve the scrolling issue nicely. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Jacob24

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with the touchpad scrolling control,  

Scrolling behaviour at the edge of the TouchPad is controlled within the scrolling settings pages. Under the settings for a single finger or two-finger scrolling, you can enable or disable EdgeMotion when scrolling.

1. Open the ClickPad Settings.

ClickPad settings

2. EdgeMotion is located under Pointing. If you do not see EdgeMotion, click the Arrow icon  to the left of the Pointing checkbox.

3. Click to highlight EdgeMotion. If the checkbox next to EdgeMotion does not contain a check mark, click the checkbox until a check mark displays to enable edge scrolling.

EdgeMotion on the properties page

4. Click the Settings icon  to adjust edge scrolling settings.

You can make the following adjustments:

• EdgeMotion - Enables or disables EdgeMotion for specific tasks. Choose to use EdgeMotion always, or only when using the tap-and-drag gesture.

• EdgeMotion Region - Adjusts the size of the edge regions. The edge is defined by the cross-hatched area. Make the edge regions larger or smaller by clicking and dragging the small black squares.

• EdgeMotion Speed - Controls the speed of the edge scrolling. Use the slider to adjust the speed.

EdgeMotion settings window

5. Click the Close button to return to the properties screen.

6. Click the Apply button to apply your changes, and then select OK to exit the properties screen.

Also, Try updating the driver through Windows Update:

• If updates are available to download, click Install now.

Windows Update screen with Install now selected

• If no updates are currently listed, click Check for updates, and then click Install now if Windows detects updates.

Update status with check for updates selected

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's not the issue. That setting is not turned on. The issue is when I use 2 finger scrolling anywhere on the touchpad, then release one finger, it continues to scroll. It appears to be the default setting of the driver (my driver is up to date). Is there any way to resolve this setting without installing a different driver? I've tried about everything I know how to do and the only thing that worked was using a different mousepad driver but it seems to be unsupported now since it doesn't work for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

HP Recommended

@Jacob24

Thank you for posting back. 

I’d like additional information in order to troubleshoot

Please let me know: 

• When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you tried using an external mouse?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Essentially I have two problems:

1) When I use the HP drivers, my mouse "works". It's just that the driver setting on the scrolling annoys me and I don't think there's a way to toggle that. (Referring to the earlier problem I mentioned where it keeps scrolling with one finger).

2) When I install a different driver (windows precision driver), it's shaky. It worked for about a month no problem, then one day my mouse dissappeared. I've since been able to successfully install this driver but the 3 and 4 finger gesture control is non functional.

I'd be happy with a solution that either helps me more successfully install this windows precision driver (though it's not made by HP so I'm guess you'll advise me against that) or allows me to make the scrolling more accurate on the HP stock drivers

HP Recommended

@Jacob24
Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists,  

I would request you to contact our Phone Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This issue annoys me enough that I'm considering returning the computer. What process would I go through to do that?

HP Recommended

@Jacob24

Thanks for the response.

It looks like you were interacting with @Echo_Lake, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

I'm escalating this case to the concerned team for further action, please refer to the private message with the required details.

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.