Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the oldest version of the Android Smart Phone - a Samsung Galaxy S.  I wish to transfer about 1400 photos off of it to my HP Pavilion Entertainment notebook PC.  It is Not as easy as from an IPhone.  I did it from an IPhone for a friend once and there were prompts when I plugged in the IPhone to the PC - very easy.  Such is Not the case with my Smart Phone (Seems it isn't so smart!)  So, can someone tell me the easiest way to transfer photos off the older Android smartphone too my PC?

Also I have about 80 Memos in the Memo section on the android smartphone . They are very important and I don't want to lose them.  Is there an easy way to transfer them from the smartphone to my documents files in my PC?

Can these be done more easily if I just get a new phone and transfer the photos and memos to the new phone first?  If that might be true I would need help with that too!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Looks like you are half way there. Unfortunatley, I dont have experience with the older phone model and it seems to be different than the newer models.

But, since you are going to Consumer Cellular, the have customer walk in centers that you can take the old phone to and they can transfer your files over to any new smart phone (as can any other phone company).

They can also support your original Samsung phone if you want to continue using it with a new SIM card.

Here is the link to their store locator if you are in the USA. 888-345-5509

Find Consumer Cellular Phones at a Store near You

Otherwise, you're most likey going to find more specific help for transfering files to a PC on the AT&T forum.

I do know those old phones have to have the info you want put on the SD card first, then you can transfer those files to the PC while connected via the USB cord.

Sorry I cannot be of further assistance on that subject.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @poetrywriter ,

There could be a few factors at play here. Have you made sure the phone is in MTP mode (Media Transfer Protocol)? That should be found somewhere in the Settings menu. What version of Windows is running on the computer you're trying to transfer to? If you're using a newer version of Windows, 10 for example, and a legacy device like your smartphone, there might not be a device driver for your operating system, or you might have to install the driver manually from Samsung.

One thing you might consider is buying a microSD card and transferring all your files onto there first. Insert the card in the old phone, copy everything over, and then you can save the files from the card onto your computer, and continue using the card in your new phone for extra storage (assuming the new phone has a memory card slot).

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

The answer I received was only a partial one.  Your first paragraph was like "Greek" to me, as I don't keep up to date on all of the newest electronic devices.  Your first paragraph does not apply to my issue.  I asked someone in an electronics retail store what his opinion was, and he said what you did in your second paragraph.  Neither he - or you - told me the step by step "How to" things to do (which is what I needed).  Finally I looked up the Users' Manual for my cellphone model, and it fortunately has a video on transferring media form the phone to PC.  I still need to find out how to transfer the content of the "Memo" section to the PC (not all of the step for the photos apply to the memos).

I thank you for your answering my question (albeit only having a partial answer).  If you happen to be able to assist in the transferring of the memos I will appreciate it (the manual doesn't have that information).  Remember - I need step by step, not just a broad answer such as "put them onto a micro SD".

HP Recommended

poetrywriter wrote:

Neither he - or you - told me the step by step "How to" things to do (which is what I needed).

IF you are needing more detailed instructions, all you need do is ask (nicely). 🙂

Let me know if you still need help with moving your memos and I will be glad to explain it in detail.

Although, the HP forum is not the support site for Galaxy Android phones, I will still be glad to help.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello,

My answer was not "un-nice", rather they were simply true words. I'm sorry you may have mis-interpreted.

I would like to request assistance (by way of step by step instructions) with transferring Memos and also all of my email contacts that are in the phone. (currently I am unable to access email because I recently switched from ATT to Consumer Cellular.  I am considering buying a new cell phone because the Samsung Galaxy that I have is an ATT phone.  It used the ATT network.  I want to transfer all my cellphone  (important files and folders) to my PC so I can move forward with getting a new phone.  I will appreciate your help. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Oh, you want to transfer all the files from the Samsung Galaxy phone over to your PC. I don’t know which Operating System your PC has so I will make this as general as possible. The simplest way to transfer files over to your PC is to copy and paste directly.

Do you have the USB cable that came with your phone to connect it to the PC? It will be the charger cord with a micro USB plug on one end and a larger USB plug on the other end. Plug it in to the phone and PC to begin. The Phone must be turned on for this to work.

You should see a window pop up to allow you to go to the contents of your phones folders.

Or

You can go to Computer, My Computer or This PC (depending on which operating system your Pavilion has) and find the phone and Micro SD card (if installed) in the list of drives. It would be similar to this photo below… mine shows a Galaxy Grand Prime…

03-This PC drives list.jpg

Double click on your phone in the list to open it.

You should see a Phone and a Card (if you have it installed ) icon in the new list similar to this photo below.

Double click the Phone icon to open it.

04-Card Phone drive.jpg

You should now see the folders in the Samsung Phone. It will be similar to this photo below.

05-Phone folder.jpg

HP Recommended

Now you can choose what folders you would like to transfer to your PC. Right click on the folder and choose Copy.

06-copy.jpg

Go back to your PC and choose a place that you want to put the phones folders/files into. Right click in that area and choose Paste.

07-Paste.jpg

You can do this for all the folders in the phones list that you want.

Also if you have the SD card installed, you can do the same thing for the contents in that as well.

I will be back later to continue as this take quite a bit of time to put together.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I want to give you a lot of credit for attempting to assist!  It must have taken you some time to research all of that.

Unfortunately, I have an even older version than the cellphone to which you refer.  When I plug in the cord, I don't get the window that you show.  The phone had some prompts that got me to the USB connection, but it still wasn't that "your" window.  In other words, no window opens to show what you have shown.  I have a feeling that we are - "so close, yet so far away" from the solution.... meaning it may be there but it's just not seen.  Maybe you can suggest another way to get to the folders on my cellphone.  Remember, it is the Original Galaxy smartphone. No upgrades.  I bought it right after they came out in 2010.  If you need to stop assisting,  I understand, and thank you for all your help.  If you can keep trying, then I thank you very much for that!

HP Recommended

OK. You still didnt mention which operating system your PC is using. It makes it hard to help without all the info.

That phone will have a model number listed in its menu if not written on the back. That would help also if you can find it.

Did you try the 2nd option I gave to go to Computer and open up the drive view? It may  be listed there.

If not, that model needs a setting made to make it seen as a drive. But I wont know that yet without a model number.

If that is not available, does that model have a Micro SD card in it for extra memory? Not the Sim card, but just a plain memory card?

IF it does have a removable memory card, I can help you transfer the folders to that card instead, then remove the card and connect it to the PC as a stand alone drive with a card reader adapter.

Let me know so I will know how to proceed.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

In my PC my cell phone is not shown in the "Devices and Drives" section.

I'm able to insert a portable micro-SD card into the back side of my phone.

I have an ATT SGH-i897 Captivate Portable Quad-band Samsung Galaxy S

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.