Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Split 13x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had a long help session from Microsoft Windows department and they couldn't sorted, but for the last month when I use the disconnect/undock icon I get this message EVERY time ...

"You cannot eject your computer because one of the devices in the docking station 'ST500LT012-9WS142' cannot be stopped at the moment.  Try closing all applications and ejecting the computer again later".    But there are no other known applications running....  I and microsoft tried to stop every thing running.  Even starting up in safe mode and disabling everything that wasn't essential still gets the same message.   

I need to use the tablet part frequently separately from its base because as a  musician I use it as my digital sheet music display.

HELP please.

I noticed one or two others with hybrid HP computers that have screens that remove from the keyboard base with same problem.

Bassett  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@bassett2

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have an error while removing or un-docking the tablet from the keyboard,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

(One musician (by hobby) to another (Although, I'm sure you are a expert, I will stay with you until we get this sorted, it's an Oath 😉 No seriously, the blink doesn't mean anything).

• Have you changed the tablet mode settings on windows?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• The System Tray portion (at the far-right) of your Task bar contains a small icon ^ which allows you to warn the tablet so that you can "Safely Remove Hardware..." which are shown in the list of devices.
  • if the keyboard is listed there, that's probably a safe way to remove it. My sixth sense (intuition) tells me that you could also safely attach/detach the components after you Shut-Down the tablet.
  • Since Split models contain a supplemental battery in the keyboard section, it is important to always follow the recommended procedure to avoid damaging either component and if not done correctly, is when you may get these error messages.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Dicipher

Thank you for your reply.

However I've not changed any of the settings for Tablet mode.   However I did look at the tablet mode in settings just in case it somehow had got switched, sorry but the instructions you left didn't make much sense as I can't remove the keyboard without the error message.  And regarding about making it more touch friendly - because the laptop is a touch screen anyway and is very touch friendly already without altering anything.   The touch function works very well on the screen on its own (when I've taken it off the closed down machine).  It doesn't need any adaptations on it.  I can manoeuvre about just fine even without the keyboard on already.

Second, I always seek to use that disconnect icon in system tray to try and seek stop the keyboard before taking off the screen, BUT that is the very time EVERY TIME that the stupid error message comes up, it says it can't stop the base number (see my previous post) and to close all apps (when there are none open) and try later - which I've also done i.e. tried later, and later and later and later............   So the error message is coming up BEFORE I take the screen off the base. 

It also doesn't seem to need reminding what settings I had on the screen last time, though I cannot see that setting in System anyway and I don't want it to go automatically to tablet either from sign in.  Most of the time I'm using the laptop as a normal laptop with keyboard.  I just use it once or twice a week as a digital music display.

It entirely stops me using the screen as a tablet at the moment, or I have to take  a punt and close the whole machine down and then take off the screen when the laptop is closed,  or because of the persistent error message I just have to take it off anyway. I can't do anything else to be able to use the screen for music as it just won't stop something running on the D drive .

So sorry no high fives yet.  Nothing seems to stop the stupid error message coming up when I use the "safely remove hardware button" for disconnecting the base (otherwise termed docking station - only its not a proper docking station rather its the base of the same computer)    If any  fix works then I would be only too pleased to thumbs up.

It seems to be a big problem.  Even 5 techs at Microsoft were unable to solve it. Including 2 level 2 techs.  They even tried switching off practically everything non essential and rebooting in safe mode and it still was giving error message when pressing the undock safely in system tray.

HP Recommended

@bassett2

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If this was an essay test, i'd mark you 10/10 points 😛 I'm not sure which part was confusing though, as I had mentioned that you should be able to use the task bar option to - "Safely remove hardware" and then try detaching the keyboard, if you aren't able to find that option or it doesn't work, that may need an update.

That said, about the issue, the best thing we could do at this point, is change the options of tablet mode to never ask,

to ensure he doesn't throw the error message anymore, if it doesn't work and you continue to get the error message, I suggest you update the BIOS using this link: https://hp.care/2B3MVQS and if you've already updated the BIOS and Chipset drivers, yet the issue persists, please Contact HP phone support as this could be a hardware malfunction:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  https://hp.care/2moMFSc

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

Thanks.   I wrote a detailed description of what I'd tried, so remedies already tried weren't suggested which is why it wasn't just notes.

AND...... I did say in that explanation several times above that I ALWAYS seek to use  "Safely remove hardware" icon on the task bar to detach the screen but it is at that point I ALWAYS get the error message.   It doesn't work.  It doesn't stop whatever is going on in the base/keyboard  ... so I can't detach the screen.       I am sorry if after all my notes I didn't make that clear enough.

Microsoft agents already updated the BIOS, all the drivers, and everything else that can be  updated..... I could try seeing if the screen is set at "don't ask me", but I'm a bit wary of doing that.

re HP phone case support:

I'm just a pensioner and I don't have lots of money to spend on paid support...........     However to investigate possibilities earlier today,  I already phoned HP support, have done the steps you suggested, but all they offer is paid support on computers under 3 years old.  Mine is four years old, and its just too expensive as well, which is why I am hoping I could get some suggestions for a fix here.

All the best and hopefully

Bassett2

HP Recommended

@bassett2

Thank you for responding,

I understand your concern and I wish I could do more to help, however, this seems to be a hardware malfunction and requires a repair that I may not be able to help you with, that said, I understand your notes as they were clear and precise, I repeated the details to confirm the same and this is the best I can do.

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

PS 

when I went to >system> tablet, and changed setting in  "when this device switches to tablet mode"    to "don't ask me and always switch" it still is coming up with the error message when I click on the task  manager icon "safely remove hardware".

Is there a repair cycle for the disk drive base?  The bases/keyboard disk drive otherwise is working fine. No problems. Provides good storage. Works well.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Riddle....

however I'm not sure they will do anything at HP support as when I asked this morning they said the parts for this laptop were already obsolete....     I also used the HP twittersphere and they were supposed to be arranging contact too but I'm still waiting

It seems to me terrible that HP isn't being very green and recycling anything and it is hoping that people will buy new computers every 3 years or even more often than that!     

We have to have companies more willing to repair things for longer....and save the planet.  A throw away world has to be a thing of the past. 

Seems I will just have to live with the fault.  😞

HP Recommended

Well that was a waste of time and utterly useless.   I recommend DO NOT BUY HP.

They just said they don't support my four year old machine anymore.   Its obsolete,   Either throw it away and buy another ... and they're eyewateringly expensive. and it seems support is none existent once over 3 years old.... or take it to the local PC repairers.... but its a software error... and 

how can local shop repair it if there are no work arounds on the entire internet.... I know I've tried them all.

HP support is utterly CRAP   and unless you want to throw your expensive HP computer, printer or other device away in four years time - DO NOT BUY HP.

So angry with HP - they've just sent me on jolly after jolly round and round their websites and support.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.