Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the problem, but didn't want to completely uninstall everything in order for me to get the windows 10 updates, to be honest I think its ridiculous.  Is there any way that the tablet could get the storage increased,  I already have a 16gb Micro SD Card inserted,  but most of my files/apps wont move to it.

What happes when another update comes through, do we have to go through the same process and completely wipe the tablet to get the updates?

Thankyou

Karen Sheridan

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @Kazagill

Are you using an Envy 8 note tablet as the other poster was?

HP Recommended
yes I am ☺
HP Recommended

OK. When you say

"I already have a 16gb Micro SD Card inserted,  but most of my files/apps wont move to it",

how or what are you doing exactly because that shouldnt be a problem.

HP Recommended
I go into the settings - storage and go into the main drive and try to move anything like Apps Photos Documents etc to the sd card, but everything I click has either modify/uninstall or move/uninstall, but the move is greyed out so I cannot use that option. I have 27.6 gb used out of 29.1 and 20.5gb is taken up by System & Reserved I have even compressed the hard drive but it still didnt give me enough to go the windows 10 update. I apparently have 1.56Gb in Temporary Files and 1.21Gb in Other and 4.78gb in Apps & Games, nut I have tried everything but cannot clear much disk space. Can this tablet be upgraded with more storage or is that not possible, Regards
HP Recommended

OK. Just so you know, you can use up to a 128GB SD card if that 16GB card is too small.

There is a work around to get your OS upgraded, but so far it will still leave you with hardly any space on that 32 GB drive. Doing a clean install has been the best way and gives you the space you should have again.

Will you have to do this for every new version of Windows 10 in the future?

I have no way of knowing the future. Sorry.

But to answer your other issue...

Instead of going to System>Storage to move folders, lets try it another way.

Before you start, make sure you can access your SD card without issues.

Can you go to This PC and open the SD card and see the contents?

If so, continue.

If not, you might have to format the SD card. This will wipe what ever is there and give it a clean slate.

Continuing...

Open the SD card and create new folders for all the default data folders that you are going to move.

Make one for each and name them Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos.

Now open This PC and move the default data folders in the C drive.

To do this...

Right click on each data folder (starting with Documents) and choose Properties.

Select the Location tab.

Click the Move... button.

In the window that opens, navigate to the SD card and open it. Select the new Documents folder you just created and click the Select Folder button on the bottom.

That window will close. In the Properties box, click on Apply.

You will be asked to confirm the move. Click Yes.

Do this for the other folders also.

Let me know how you do so far.

HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002, Thankyou for your response, I have done as you have asked and moved the folders as you suggested.  I am wondering if a clean install would be the best option though as I actually don't have much on this tablet and having so little left of the 32GB limits what I can do.  Was there another step to your instructions?  My availalbe space currently sits at 3.79GB. Appreciate all your help 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes, like I pointed out earlier a clean install will be easier and give you more space when its done.

The alternative to get your system updated is rather daunting if you're not familiar with advanced use of Windows.

Since your personal files are now copied over to the SD card, remove the card before clean installing 10.

Do you have access to another PC with windows 8 or 10 on it? It will be easier to deal with for creating a USB installer.

If so, download the Media Creation Tool to it and run it to create a USB installer.

You will need a blank USB drive at least 8 GB but no more that 32 GB in capacity.

Then connect it to the Envy 8.

Make sure the tablet if fully charged.

Rapidly tap the ESC key to get the Startup Menu. Or you might be able to go directly to the boot options by tapping F9 at boot.

Choose the USB drive to boot from. If the drive is not showing, you might have to go into the bios and disable Secure Boot first.

During the install, you will be given the choice to do a Custom install. Choose Custom and delete the contents of Disk 0. Disk 0 should be where your C drive is installed. In other words, you want to remove all the partitions on the Note 8 drive.

Then let Windows continue with the install. It will set up the drive as its needs.

Let me know if you have questions.

HP Recommended
Hello Photoray002, I'm back again with this continuing problem and I was about to follow your instructions to clear the whole tablet but I cannot seem to get the startup menu to appear, tried pressing escape continuously..nothing happens, tried pressing f9....nothing happens even searched the internet and tried the power and volume up for getting the start menu up on a tablet...it just reboots no start menu appears, I'm hoping there is an easier way to get it to appear as I'm not sure if the tablet keyboard is working efficiently enough to use that method, hope you can help me sort this out, thanks
HP Recommended
An update to this is I managed to get it up but now I have a problem because I couldn't boot from the usb drive so went and disabled secure boot like you said I might need to do and now it's asking me to confirm the change by typing in a code, but I can't type or anything on this screen, what or how can I rectify this, updating this tablet should not be this complicated, if only it had more memory
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.