Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows Update fails saying: "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet."

This started happening 1/30/2019.  It is happening on THREE of my laptops (2 HP, 1 Samsung).  All 3 laptops have Windows 10 Version 1809.  All 3 successfully ran Windows Update on 1/29/2019 and were fully up to date.

Apparently I am not the only person having this issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-we-couldnt-connect-to-the-updat...

I have also seen other posts suggesting Microsoft has many server issues across the US and perhaps that is the isssue.

Anybody else having this issue?

I am a software engineer living in Katy (near Houston) TX.  My Internet is through Comcast.  I'm wondering if there is some DNS issue within in Comcast or elsewhere?  I know my neighbor is having the identical issue that I am seeing.  

I work remotely on machines in PIttsburgh, PA.  I am NOT seeing the Windows Update issue there... HOWEVER, those machines are running an earlier version of Windows 10.  Namely Version 1803.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@KatyTXUser,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums.

I see from your post that you're having issues with the Windows update. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score.  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 

In this scenario, I would suggest you try these steps here which should help you resolve this issue.

Open Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Fix problems with Windows Update

Click Advanced, and choose Run as Administrator (and tick Apply repairs automatically.)

Next thing, I would suggest here is to  Restart the Windows Update Service: 

Search for “Services” in the Taskbar search box. Open the Services Manager window and find out the Windows Update Service. Double-click on it to open its Properties box. You will see the status as either Running or Stopped.

If it is Stopped, you need to click on Start button.

If it is  Running, you need to click on Stop and the on the Start button to restart the service.

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.