Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, recently purchased a Laptop from a site similar to ebay, but local.

When trying to install a speciffic driver which is not digitally signed, I found out that I can not disable the check, only if I access BIOS.

Went to BIOS and password is required :(.

I do not know the password, and the seller does not know it as well.

What can I do in this case? Do I have to replace the eeprom?

I have no proof of purchase, and I know HP will ask me for that.

HELP?

Regards, 

Victor

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Please note that this is the HP Calculator forum. Your question should be posted to one of the HP Laptop forums here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks/ct-p/Notebook

-Joe-
HP Recommended

When I understand you well you can not enter the BIOS settings because it is password protected.

On my BIOS this password is stored in RAM, which is powered by a small, button cell battery which is mainly needed for keeping the clock running.

When I want to clear the password I have to remove the power supply, so in your case the main battery,

Next remove the small button cell.

After this move a certain jumper fom one position to another, wait about 10 seconds, and move the jumper back.

So you have to know which jumper this is.

Maybe you can find a User Guide for your BIOS.

Maybe it also works when you just remove the batteries and wait long enough.

I do not know what long enough is, it could be some minutes, some hours, or a day.

HP Recommended
Hello everybody,
First of all, thank you for the fast reply.
I have opened the same thread at the location specified by Joe_Horn.
Thanks Jan_D for your answer, however, elitebook and sevveral other series have this code stored in a non volatile memory also known as eeprom nowdays, which is not affected by lack of power, so removing the battery and other classical solutions won't work.
I need a SMC.bin file configured for my product's serial number in order to reflash the bios...
thanks though, have a nice Sunday.
HP Recommended

You may be well right, but I want to observe that in my case the RAM in which the password is stored is also called non- volatile, though it it is RAM and not eeprom.

The reason is that it is non-volatile in the sense that information not gets lost, because there is constant power supply.

So in my case the password and BIOS settings are stored in RAM, and the BIOS itself is stored in eeprom.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.