Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Longest story in the world condenced into a few sentences. I had to format my laptop. When I reinstalled Windows 10 I accidentally installed it to my second hard drive, Local Disk (D), instead of the standard Local Disk (C). Then when I went to download the newest update of HP BIOS I guess BIOS didn't like downloading to Local Disk (D) and it basically sent me to a screen telling me it needed an operating system and asking for a boot media without an option to boot from Local Disk (D) (the disk I had accidentally installed Windows 10 onto). So I had to reinstall Windows 10 again and this time it installed onto the primary hard drive, Local Disk (C), without formatting Local Drive (D). So, you guessed it, I currently have two hard drives both with a complete version of Windows 10 installed on them.

So heres a meriad of questions:

Is there a way to keep these two hard drives completely separate from one another and basically have the function of two separate computers?

Can I boot from/to a different drive whenever I turn on my computer?

Is the OS on Local Drive (D) functionless?

Could I encrypt them separately?

Finallyo you have any cool ideas for me to do with the extra drive? In a previous post about dual hard drives I learned that the second hard drive is basically the same thing as having a third party external hard drive, but this it just happens to be mounted inside the PC.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.