Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-ax200 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every since I have updated to Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update), I am having issues with freezing/lagging. My system HP Omen 15-ax250wm laptop w/ i7-7700HQ and NVIDIA 1050 TI GPU.

Issues and symptoms:

• Right click on Desktop or in File Explorer causes 0.5-1 sec lag/freezing before Context Menu shows up.
  • When launching applications (ex: Firefox, Chrome), there is a a lag/freeze for around 2-3secs. The launch is NOT smooth at all and the mouse lags until full launch is complete
  • Lag/freeze randomly occur during use of multiple applications (ex: Opening a new tab in Firefox)

Conclusion:

• Issue only happens on Windows 10 version 1709 and NOT on previous versions (ex: Windows 10 version 1703
  • Keeping NVIDIA GPU continuously active resolves the issue. It seems that the lag/freeze issue occurs when GPU goes from sleep state to active state
  • Issue happens on all HP Omen 15-ax250wm laptops with 1050 TI GPU
  • As posted by another user on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bvsgh/windows_10_creators_update_freeze_lag/dldyef1/

Nvidia Optimus is creating the freeze when the dedicated GPU is not utilized. Basically it goes like this, if Windows 10 creates a new Window the draw call is redirected to a dedicated GPU but since it's not already working that whole Windows freezes and waits for the GPU to start, this is what's creating the lag. This is just how Nvidia Optimus works with Windows 10, it's running fine on some machines but it's not on the others and the only 'fix' is to disable the Integrated GPU (Intel iGPU), or to Disable Nvidia GPU if you don't need the computing power.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• On a CLEAN install of Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall creators update) the issue does NOT happen. However, the moment Windows automatically installs NVIDIA drivers, the issue starts occurring. Clean install of Windows 10 was done by wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows from a USB. The USB was created using the media creator tool from Microsoft website
  • Updating NVIDIA drivers to v390.65 (1/8/2018) did NOT fix the issue. Yes I did a CLEAN install of the drivers by choosing "Custom install" and then choosing "Clean installation"
  • Installing previous versions of NVIDIA drivers such as v388.71, v382.53 and v382.05 does NOT fix the issue
  • Installing drivers provided by HP for my specific laptop did NOT fix the issue
  • Updating to latest Chipset drivers and BIOS does NOT fix the issue
  • Updating all drivers suggested by Intel Driver & Support Assistant utility did NOT fix the issue
  • Updating Intel graphics drivers to v15.60.01.4877 (12/7/2017) and v15.60.2.4901 (12/28/2017) did NOT fix the issue
  • I checked Event Viewer for any error logs. I couldn't find anything related to this issue
  • Changing PhysX settings to NVIDIA GPU did NOT resolve the issue
  • Disabling Game Bar and XBOX DVR did NOT resolve the issuse
  • Changing Global Settings to High Performance NVIDIA Processor did NOT fix the issue
  • I can NOT enable Debug mode because I don't that option under Help section
  • Disabling Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service did NOT fix the issue
  • Windows troubleshooting with DISM.exe and SFC scan did NOT report any errors or issues.
  • I purchased a second same EXACT laptop HP Omen 15-ax250wm and even that laptop had the same issues.
  • On a CLEAN install of Windows 10 version 1703 this issue does NOT occur even after updating to latest NVIDIA drivers v388.71

Solutions that are unfeasible

• Engaging the NVIDIA GPU and keeping it awake resolves the issue. By engaging I mean, if I connect laptop to an external monitor so that way NVIDIA GPU has to stay active instead of going to sleep
  • Disabling NVIDIA 1050 TI from Device Manager resolves the issue but this is NOT a feasible solution
  • Installing Windows 10 version 1703 resolves the issue but this is NOT a feasible solution

Similar issue reported by others:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.