Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and older

Hello, 

I have began working on creating labels for my business and I keep running into issues with black ink not fully imprinting and rubbing off on any contact (wet or dry).

The labels have white or some color text on a black background. I have used default printing setting in quick and high quality ink resolution on several matte vinyl sticker paper types. The final goal was to use gloss vinyl which I printed on in both Photo and Gloss Paper settings. I am using compatible HP brand Inkjet color and black ink cartridges which have no issues printing otherwise.
However, all black background prints on all vinyl sticker paper types are rubbing off, worst of all on gloss types. On gloss ones (which I prefer to resolve this for), if I use a wet cloth/paper to wipe over the surface (to check if it’s just excess ink), I can in a single wipe remove all black leaving clean white paper. While all colors printed remain on the paper, the black is never infused into the material and remains only as an ink layer on the surface. The black ink is not setting into any vinyl type paper even though they are designed for inkjet printing and do work for color printing.
Note: ink drying time is not a factor — even once the ink has been dried for 5min to 24hrs the results are the same.

1. Is there a printer setting(s) I should try to resolve this for HP OfficeJet 3830? 

2. Is this something which can be addressed with a specific type of ink? 
3. Something else I’m not accounting for?

Any solution which can help print black background on glossy vinyl sticker paper is much appreciated. 

For reference I’ve used several types of high quality matte and glossy water resistant vinyl 8 1/2x11 sticker paper as well as Avery matte clear (frosted) address labels to test this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.