Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had no problem using the Vista 64 bit driver with my 1012 when I was running Windows 7 Beta, but since the new RC release the driver do not work anymore.

Some people suggest installing driver in compatibility mode, but this does not seem possible with the driver for the 1012 since there is no setup packaged with the drivers. 

Driver for vista x64 are located here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=377934&prodNameId=306510&swEnvOID=2100&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-67501-1

I have also tried the 32 bit, and the driver for the 1018 with no success...

Is there any compatibility list for windows 7 from HP, as there was one for vista a few years back?

thanks!

163 REPLIES 163
HP Recommended

I hate to say it, but when I do the Windows 7 upgrade, it has told me that this hardware will not be compatable with Windows 7.   I would surely hope that this printer would be able to be supported somehow. 

Does anyone have any thoughts for installing the Vista driver for the 1012?

Thanks.

HP Recommended
I just installed Windows 7 (64bit) retail today on three on my home computers and was suprised my 1012 printer was not supported.  Windows 7 saw it as a unspecified device.  I was able to resolve this driver issue by having the printer attached to the USB Port, then manually pressing ADD PRINTER, choose DOT4 for the port.  For the driver, choose the built in Windows 7 HP Laserjet 3055 PCL5 driver and it will worked like a charm.  I also shared the printer on my home network and it worked with other Windows 7 computers not directly attached automatically.  This should work for the 1010, 1012 and 1015 as they are fundamentally the same printer, just a different year they were made.  The Printers section in the control panel eventually got rid of the Unspecified Device as it now see's it as a 3055 printer.  I could care less what Windows 7 calls the printer.  I just want it to print.  Tested Print Page and Word\Excel Documents with no problems.  Hope this helps!
HP Recommended
OMG!!! IT TOTALLY WORKED!!! i followed your directions and my 1012 worked. 🙂 thanks for your help! I also dont care what windows or hp calls my printer as long as it prints!
HP Recommended

Many thanks for the procedure!  Getting my LaserJet 1012 working with Windows 7 (64 bit) was the last major problem I had to solve with the upgrade from Vista.  I really appreciate the good advice.

HP Recommended

Many thanks to sk2play from me too

HP Recommended

Hmmm...The 3055 driver stopped working after a couple of weeks, probably related to a Windows 7 update.  Now I get the message "Unsupported Personality:  PCL" on the printer instead of the text I was trying to print.

Fell back to a 1015 host based driver, which takes about 10 seconds to start printing.  Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I also installed the 3055, and it worked for several days. Then I also got an error message: "Unsupported Personality:  PCL"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

HP Recommended
Thank you very much, as you just saved my butt. I just installed Windows 7 and it would not recognize my HP 1012 until I called it a HP 3055 as you suggested. I did not have to go the USP route, but rather kept the same hookup and it worked. Thanks again., <text removed for privacy>
Message Edited by WendyM on 11-29-2009 08:29 PM
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.