Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am using the HP Structured Light Scanner with a 2 camera setup.  I work for a sculpture studio and am trying to scan life size animals, up to the size of a horse.  I have printed 620mm scale calibration panels and can successfully calibrate the scanner, but the scan results are inconsistent compared to scanning smaller objects.  I can edit the scans to be usable but would like to know if fabricating extensions for the scale would correct some of the alignment issues.  Is the size limit of the 3d scans limited by the scale bar, or something in the software?  I cannot currently get the overlap between the cameras to the 10-15 degree angle suggested for the 2 camera setup.  Does anyone have experience with a larger scan like this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

1. The dual camera mode has 2 options for obtaining a scan - by default (when only the part of the object that is visible to both cameras is displayed) and Extended (in this case, scanning is equivalent to two scans made by one camera from two points of view) - which mode is selected for you ?
2. Also, are you trying to capture the entire object in the field of view, or are you scanning in parts?

HP Recommended

I am currently scanning an entire object in the field of view, but am open to scanning in parts.  I am using a manual turntable for larger objects, and the automatic turntable for smaller objects.  Neither feature allows for use of the extended view so I think I am not using that mode.  The manual turntable has hard stops at 20 degrees so I generally get a complete scan out of 18 scans.

HP Recommended

I tried to make scans by scanning a relatively large object in parts (due to the lack of a calibration table of a suitable size). Here is an example:

fan_case_02.jpg

But for this, the object must have either pronounced volumetric elements, or have a texture (or other marks that are characteristically distinguished by color), which could be used as a kind of special markers in other scanning programs.
Also, in the case when (for various reasons) physical distortions are observed at the edges of the scan, I crop them manually (in this case, more scans need to be done)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.