Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Sprout
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have posted in the HP Sprout section of the HP support community, with no answers, then I found this group within the community.

I have a HP Sprout Pro G1, and am thinking of buying a HP Sprout Pro G2, as it "seems" that it might provide access to the "HP Scan 3D 5" Software, previously known as "David 5", which is a well respected structured light scanner.

I say seem, as I have found information on the HP site, which suggests that this software is licence free to download via using the "Discover" button within the Sprout G2 workspace (reference - HP Support article on installing HP3DScan5 on a sprout within the HP site), but I am struggling to find anything on the HP Sprout website which conclusively lists what software is available... This software does not seem to be on the Sprout G1 "Market place" which is the similar system to the "Discover" in the G2 workspace...

I have also seen evidence (such as you tube reviews) which show the G2 Sprout, with the HP3DScan5 software running on a G2 Sprout with the HP Capture Stage (which I have with my G1), as well as finding out in one of the HP3DScan5 software update "Details" pages, where it says something along the lines of "Added support for HP Capture Stage for Sprout", and on another update words to the effect of "Resolved issue with using HP Capture Stage for HP Sprout"... All of this was in various versions of the version 5 onwards updates.

But, looking on the various forums, including this support community, where an employee of HP have said that "HP Capture Stage within HP3DScan is not supported", when an owner of a HP Capture Stage mentioned he was having problems on a Sprout.. Which would kind of fly in the face of what I have seen on videos, and what HP Mention in their update logs for the HP3DScan5 files.

I have downloaded HP3DScan5, and it reminds me that I do not have a licence, but if in the setup page, I select "HP Sprout" as my setup type... It pops up a window saying "SoHAL service killed or not running" (This could be something that is running on a HP Sprout Pro G2, so not on my G1)... I would buy a licence for this software, if I could know there is a fix to get it running on the G1..

Likewise, I would buy a HP Sprout Pro G2, if I could know for sure that the HP3DScan5 software is in the market place, and licence free as some information I have found is accurate, but also especially if I could confirm that it really will work with the HP Capture Stage I already have, rather than buying a HP3DScan-TT1 Capture stage, which seems identical to the HP Capture Stage, without the tilt function.

From what I can find on the internet, some on the HP Site tucked away in corners, some on other forums, I guess that if I had a HPSproutProG2, then I could download the HPScan5 software licence free, and it would work with the HPCaptureStage, but I am not willing to spend several thousand pounds/dollars on buying it, to then find out that my assumptions are not correct.

I also suspect, that if I had a G2, and if I could download the HPScan5 software, that I would find an installation file for the HP3DScan5 software for the SoHAL sevice, which if installed on my G1, would probably unlock the licence, and allow the setup to recognise my machine as a HPSprout, and then the CaptureStage would also work with this setup. Which would be really annoying if I spent a large amount of money to find this out and end up with Two Sprouts, when all I needed was an Exe file to install.

But to be honest, on the current page of this part of the group (I have posted in the HP Sprout section also) there is 30 posts on the first page, only two have replies, one of those replies is "Email HP Support" and the other gives incorrect information where a member has asked "What is the minimum size object the scanner can scan" and the answer from a HP Employee is to quote the HP Sprout maximum size of an object it can scan"

So what I am hoping for, is to find someone in here, or out there anywhere in the world, who is successfully using the HP3DScan5 software, on a HP Sprout (G1 or G2), that can answer any of these questions for me... Such as "Is it currently in the Sprout G2 marketplace if you click on the discovery button?" and "Do you have a Capture Stage? and if so, does it work within HP3DScan5?" as well as "if you look at your task manager, is there a service running called SoHAL, or in the HP directory, is there a folder or file called SoHAL?"

Just in case I can not find an answer here, I have also set up a HP Sprout Self Help Group on Facebook, where we can also get together and solve problems, for when we can not find the answers in this support community... It probably breaks some rules here for posting the address, but it can be found by searching in facebook for "HP Sprout Support"..

If a moderator is offended by the following link, please feel free to sensor it out, but leave this post standing if possible.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hpsprout/

Or even better, if a moderator or HP Employee is to read this, could you ask my questions to someone in the HP3DScan or HPSprout development teams for their technical support... I am a HP Sprout buyer of the G1, and may even buy a G2 if I could have things confirmed, but it would help HP's reputation with people who bought the G1, only to be dissapointed by the awful "Toy" scanning software included, if the HP3DScan5 software was added to the HPSprout market place, as well as in the HPSroutG1 marketplace for Ap downloads, as us early adopters have really been hung out to dry, and it seems that the HPSproutG2 owners might be coming to the same conclusion, not being made aware that there is better software available from HP!

Anyway, anyone able to shed some light on my questions and assumptions, as it all points to the fact that the HP3DScan5 software does recognise the sprout (its listed in the setup types), can work with the capture stage (it is listed in the updates) and it should be in the marketplace (for the G2) as it is listed in a "How to install on a HP Sprout" page in the HP Website.

And looking at the specifications of the G1 and G2 sprout, there should not be any reason why this software and hardware setup is not compatible for the G1 and G2.

If in the HP3D Scan 5 software, I select custom setup, I can get it working, just not able to calibrate it (The version for other scanners has a horizontal camera and comes with a calibration image and frame), but it also says the capture Stage is not supported, as it is only supported in the HPSprout version!!!!

I really suspect that if I had the SoHAL software/driver/licencetoken then it would recognise my machine as a HPSprout, the Capture Stage would then be recognised, and the licence type would change from "trial without save", to "full"...

HELP!

A consumer - Not a HP employee
I run a HP Sprout community group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/hpsprout/
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thank you for your inquiry, I'll see if I can clarify some of your concerns.

HP3DScan5 was originally intended for SLS-2/SLS-3, which works on any WIndows computer as long as it meets the hardware requirements listed on the website, including HP Sprout G1. License key is included in a USB stick that is bundled with the SLS hardware.

After HP Sprout G2 was released, HP decided to offer HP3DScan5 software on Discover for free as a perk to G2 users. As such, the 3D Capture Stage from G1 is made compatible on the G2 to use in conjunction with HP3DScan5. 

As mentioned in other posts in the forum, SLS hardware is independent of Sprout accessories, and as a result does not work with 3D Capture  Stage. On the flip side, since the HP Automatic Turntable TT1 works with any Windows computer, it is functional on both G1 and G2 provided the driver is installed and configuration is selected in the app.

G1 and G2 may look similar on the exterior, but underneath they have very different hardware/software and use very different platforms. On the G1, they use Sprout Service to communicate with the hardware while on G2, they use SoHAL, both of which are not interchangeable. Hence you cannot install SoHAL onto a G1 and expect all of the features to work normally, vice versa with Sprout Service on G2. Hope that answers your questions.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

is actually a really great answer!

I just have a couple of remaining questions.

1 - If I buy a HP Sprout G2, can you confirm the HP3DScan5 software is available on Discover licence free, and this is not about to be withdrawn (I just don't want to invest in one, only to then find the software which is key to my purchase is suddenly withdrawn or is suddenly no longer a free perk.

2 - A couple of weeks ago, the HP Sprout G2 was available on the HP Store, but is now showing as out of stock. Has it been discontinued or are more being made available?

Many thanks in advance.

A consumer - Not a HP employee
I run a HP Sprout community group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/hpsprout/
HP Recommended

1 - Yes, HP3DScan on Sprout G2 will never require a license.

2 - I just checked the website, the system is still in stock.

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.