Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
850 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The 850 G3 has a HIGLY ANNOYING BEEP when in the BIOS setup screen. Beeps for confirmation for various actions just like an Apple ][+ did in 1979! Really HP? REALLY?! Beeping was annoying then, its twice as annoying now! There is no apparent way to turn off this irritating BEEPING in BIOS.

Please DO AWAY with this darned unnecessary NOISE in the next BIOS release, and don't do this again!

Its bad enough that Apple brought back the "Chicklet" keyboard, and everybody else - including HP - is copying them. Chicklet keyboards were a bad idea in 1983, and are a bad idea now - just like this thrice cursed BEEPING!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On the 840 G3 there is definitely an option to disable the BIOS beeps as I've done it - off the top of my head I can't remember exactly what it is called but I think it may be Enable/Disable audio alerts on boot?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I hate that beep. Why did they change that from the G2 to the G3? Does anyone at HP have any ideas about how to disable?

HP Recommended

I crawled all over that BIOS looking for a way to turn this crap off - without success. A screwdriver through the speaker would do the trick...

The G2 didn't do this, neither did the G1 nor any other HP laptop that I'm aware of. Some programmer somewhere has too much time on his/her hands...

HP Recommended

HP Support was no help. Every G3 is like this too. ZBook 15 & 17 plus the 840. What were they thinking?

HP Recommended

Great. I hadn't noticed it on the 840, and we haven't yet purchased a current gen Zbook. Just what the world was asking for - a BIOS that beeps and plays little tunes.

HP Recommended

On the 840 G3 there is definitely an option to disable the BIOS beeps as I've done it - off the top of my head I can't remember exactly what it is called but I think it may be Enable/Disable audio alerts on boot?

HP Recommended

That seems to have fixed the problem. At least at first blush, haven't tried all permutations yet. Not particularly intuitively named as I had dismissed it before thinking it had to do with boot, not BIOS setup. Why couldn't HP support help the other poster in this thread?

An absolutely STUPID "feature", now I can enjoy the blessed "sound of silence"!

THANK YOU!!!

HP Recommended

In the BIOS of HP ProDesk 400 G3 SFF you will find it here:

Advanced > Boot options > Audio Alerts during boot

Deselect this

Save

Exit

Enjoy working in silence

HP Recommended

This helped me with a ProBook G2. We ended up returning them, but this was a big help. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.