Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 9470m

Hello!
I recently bought an Elitebook 9470m of Ebay. What wasn't included in the description was that the bios is protected by a password. I contaced the seller, but he didn't know anything about it, or could contact the company he bought it from.

I have read alot of posts on forums and other places, that HP can provide a smc.bin file that clear bios password (if provied serial nr, and other relevant info).

So I did  contact hp support, and they told me that they can't make such file for my laptop (he did say it was to old or something) but i can try to remove the cmos battery, which of course don't help my case. 
Im very curious how he thought that would work, since he's an HP agent.

However, i felt that he was lying about they cannot make an smc.bin for my laptop. Have someone here cleared bios password on an Elitebook 9470m?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If someone else has this trouble, heres some info.

Got contaced by hp support. They can make a bios password reset file, but since the laptop is out of warranty, it would be very costly (more than the value of the laptop). Otherwise my issue would have been solved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sebmas

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thank you, Im looking forward for a reply.
HP Recommended

If someone else has this trouble, heres some info.

Got contaced by hp support. They can make a bios password reset file, but since the laptop is out of warranty, it would be very costly (more than the value of the laptop). Otherwise my issue would have been solved.

HP Recommended

"...Otherwise my issue would have been solved."

I have the same problem. What was the solution?

HP Recommended

Please help. I have the exact same problem. 

Same model of laptop

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.