Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp elite book

At Boot, Sure Start screen has little box in lower right corner ... what is it? 

EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

New computer, just got.  EliteBook 840 G5.  Upon initial configuration, have completed Windows Updates, Support Assistant HP updates, including BIOS update (at latest version 01.01.08 Rev.A, Jun 12, 2018).  Now, upon boot up, at the HP Sure Start screen, there is a little white box in the lower right of the screen, see below.  Anyone know what this is, or what it is trying to tell me???

To me, looks like icons for two hard drives, but I don't think that makes sense as only one NVMe drive is in it.

I connected into a support Chat session to ask about this and a couple other items, we spent 2 hours on this specific item.  I'm told 'it has to do with security' ... but they will not say anything more than that.  We have completely reset BIOS defaults, removed battery and cycled power, they've had me turn off and on a bunch of settings under the Security section.  None of these have changed it.  Their final request was to ship it in for service.   I've ended the session as it has become clear they have no idea what it is and they are completely screwing up all the security settings that the machine came with.

I continue to debug and notice this same box shows up at four screens in the BIOS settings:

Main -> System IDs -> Asset Tracking Number

Main -> System IDs -> Ownership Tag

Security -> Create BIOS Admin Password

Security -> Create POST Pwr-On Password

I went ahead and entered values for all these, but that little box still shows up on the start up screen and in each of these four screens.

Anyone know what the window/icon is communicating?  And, is there something that should be done about it?

Thanks.

ANY UPDATES ON THIS

THANKS

ALLAN

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

That icon is to allow touch-enabled systems like tablets and convertibles to start a soft keyboard to enter keystrokes if required during power on and BIOS menus... i am not sure why you are seeing it but there should be no concern about it

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to reply....the answer given does not help as when i purchased a HP i thought i was getting one of the better machines and wouldn't have to run around trying to resolve something that should of happened in the year 2000,no matter how small the problem is it is not normal and should not be part of HP package ......

As far as im concerned  this matter is not closed and i cannot see how HP can just say that their is no concern about it....

waiting for assistance to solve this problem.......................

ALLAN

HP Recommended

Can you please explain what is the problem you are seeing? As mentioned, the icon on the bottom right of the screen during boot is just a touch option to enable a s/w keyboard. It is not a problem, which is why i said it is not a concern. are you having a problem with the laptop?

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.